Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

strange sound

Old 07-20-1999, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my '84 suzuki lt 125 has just started making this really wierd sound. it doesnt sound good so i figured id ask. right after it starts, it will run fine for like 30 seconds and then when you get the rpm's up it starts to drone and run like its under load, when it s really sitting in my garage on two 5 gallon buckets. i have only dealt with two stroke engines so far and am new to four strokes---could this be normal or should i be worried? Could it be anything to do with the valves? ive never adjusted valves before so im a little scared of a valve adjustment. thanks alot rob hammond

Old 07-21-1999, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, I noticed in your profile you only mentioned girls twice; do u need some Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word  at your age . I'd guess you're 15
Well, back to the subject, I don't think I'll be a lotta help as I have no idea what a lt125 even looks like, but it is always a good idea to check valve clearance on a 4 stroke periodically, anyway. The tend to close up rather that open and results in loss of power especially after warming up.
Valve adjustments are really nothing to be afraid of, Rob. The job is a little time consuming getting the clearances exactly
right, meaning u usually have to adjust each one more than once due to the movement when you tighten the lock nuts. You'll need a feeler gauge of course hopefully with a sharp bend in each blade to fit between the tappets AND THE MAIN THING YOU'LL NEED IS A SHOP MANUAL BEFORE YOU START! pROBABLY cLYMER still publishes a manual for your ride and it will tell you with pics and text how to to it and other maintainance as well. it wil give u the specs on adjustment also. If you can't locate one at you friendly bike shop try Amazon Books on line.. the have books on every thing, even girls .
I don't know what else I can tell u, Rob, if this doesn't solve your problem, and honestly, I don't really think it will , but a valve adjustment is a good idea, anyway.
Good luck & email me if u like and need any more suggestions. Except tips on girls, you could give me some I'm sure

Cal, the AZ hard packer

------------------
join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online at www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 07-21-1999).]

Old 07-21-1999, 03:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valve adjustment is a good start. Also, you might think about cleaning the carb and gas tank. Being an 84 makes it pretty old, and I'd bet it's sat around for awhile. A filter cleaning and plug change wouldn't hurt, either.

------------------
Michael "Lordmik" Magee

Stranded on a tropical island, for now...