Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire sealant what is the best stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire sealant what is the best stuff

I just got a quad and want to put some sort of tire sealent in the tire for smal and larg holes. I know they make some stuff called gleen slime.
What is the best stuff and where can I get it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldnt use any sealant at all. You are going to have a real mess when you need to change tires. Flats are not really that common. Just get a plug kit from the auto parts store so If you do flat, a repair will only take 30 seconds.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

I put Slime in my tires because it was readilly available at the stores in my area (check out Home Depot or Wal-Mart). I believe that it is prudent to have a product in your tires. The risk of a flat on the trail is pretty good and taking time to stop, put a plug in the tire and fill it back up is a big pain in the neck. Yes, it may be a bit messy when you change your tires. But, one does not normally change tires very often.

Quad Boss and Highlifter both have tire sealant products. They appear to be better than Slime, in that they use larger chunks of material suspended in the sealant.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

slime is good in some applications for small punctures/slow leaks

i would use it if I was going on a long trip,,,,,,just a little insurance

i have used it on a a lot of tires in the past with much success

i use half the recommended amount

as far as it being messy,,,,it cleans up easy,,,,,dries up and flakes off

Old 10-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

For the long range exploring type rides we do, Slime is a good thing, and I use it at the manufacturer's recommended amounts.

Intrepid Explorers

Old 10-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't even leave my garage without Fix-a-Flat in my tires! I have tried Slime, but when it's in there for a while, when I dismount the tires there is nothing but a dried up crust! No thanks!

There is also the issue of rim corrosion, from having wet stuff bathing your rims. I inspect my rims very carefully, before mounting new tires. I would rather replace my rims now and then, than make a long walk home in the desert!

Old 10-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

I use the stuff from Quad Boss, I was told the slime will freeze and this won't. Don't know for sure but I trust the guy that told me.

Old 10-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Man, I've been fighting with this tire business ever since we got our quads. To use or not to use (stuff in the tires). We've had a couple flats and we fixed them easily with tire plug kits. But, we've got this ongoing problem with tires going flat while the quads sit unused. What we've been doing is simply pumping them up and going. I've wasted untold time dipping the tires in water looking for bubbles, listening for leaks, and just plain getting pissed. So now I just pump them up for the day we're riding and forget about it. I've used tire sealant stuff in my motorcycles when I used to ride and never got a flat. I've used it in my travel trailer tires and never had a flat. But I just can't seem to give in and put it in my quad tires - for whatever reason.

Does anyone else have these tire 'flatages' (like that word?) or did everyone just put some 'whatever' in their tires and life was good? I just get tired of pumping.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2004, 11:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

What a tire should stay hard in the garage? Not at my house. The 6 month old 450r has 3 flats right now. I will pump them up on the ride day.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks TP, for letting me know it's not just my tires. We went out riding yesterday and two tires (one on each machine) were completely flat, and three others had to be aired up so everything read 5 lbs. So after spending 15 minutes pumping up tires, we were on our way.

As an aside here, two weeks ago I bought new tires for my beater Honda commute car. Les Schwab did their usual great job. But, next morning when I go out to leave for work (5am), I've got a flat tire. Grrrrrrrrr. No time for changing tires so I have to put all my stuff (I'm a truck driver and carry LOTS of stuff!) in my pickup and take off. My wife had to call Schwab and ask what THEY were going to do about this. They came out and fixed it (new valve stem, I think). They said this "happens with stems sometimes". Funny, in the 40 plus years I've been buying tires I've never had one go flat in under 24 hours. Just a non-ATV related story.

I like the "nice truck" picture in your gallery...

Quick Reply: Tire sealant what is the best stuff