Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Impossible to break beads

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impossible to break beads

Hi,
On my just beautiful, overly powerful 1985 Kawasaki Bayou 185 ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]), I've got Carlisle knobby tires in back, and Kenda Scorpions in front. The Scorpions are fine tires, and don't leak, but both rear tires leak around the beads, and one around the valve stem. What bugs me is that the tires are nearly brand new (the person I bought it from put new tires on it), and I don't want to buy new ones, yet. I've tried everything short of buying a tool for breaking beads to break the beads on these tires, and clean them so they stop leaking. One tire goes bad overnight, the other is bad after about 2 weeks. I tried, on the really bad one, yesterday, standing on the tire, while I had someone operate the loader on the tractor, to try to break the bead, After probably 10 tries, nothing still happened. I'm about to just buy new tires, bring the 2 rear rims somewhere with the new tires, and pay them to put the new tires on. I'm not too crazy about the knobbies anyway; they are terrible in snow, and are noisy on the road, when I top that thing out at its whopping 40 mph. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Any suggestions to break the beads?

Also, I'm either looking at Carlisle Strykers in back, or some Cheng Shins that are similar to the Strykers. Or, I might just live with the tire, since 5 Kawasaki KE175 enduros will be consuming my time, soon.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

run over them with a car. get as close to your rim as you can w/o hitting the rim. if this dont work might want to take them some were proffesional. its worked every time i have seen someone try it.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Well,
I have some larger rims around from an old Ditch Witch trencher. I was thinking of putting the rim over my smaller rim (my tires are 22x11-8), and pushing down on that with the loader. Think a few thousand pound tractor with turf tires could accomplish the same thing, by driving over it?

Old 04-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

sounds good

Old 04-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

After wresting with the dang thing for about 3 hours today, I'm about to buy a pair of Carlisle Strykers, and some new rims. I broke the bead part way with the tractor, but just can't get the dang bead to come off all the way. Maybe I'll try to seal the beads with some Slime from the inside for now, and when I have some money in summer, at the end, when I'll have killed this set of tires on the dry, packed gravel roads, I'll get some cheap alloy rims off eBay, and throw some bigger Strykers or similar on. Ground clearence in back is very low, even with the 22x11-8's.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Been there,done that.

when you do get the new rims and tires,one way to help avoid this is to use Murphy's Bead Soap.I cover the bead and inside edge of the rim with it before inflating.Works great.

Good luck with the tires.I've seen me use the blade of my skidder before.Transport tires with aluminum rims are just as bad.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

wonder if you can burn'm off

Maybe dose'm with gas then throw a match on um'

You may have to take the wheel off the quad to put the new ones on though...LOL

Old 04-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

Why would I burn them off? For one, someone would probably file a complaint, with burning tires.
Second, my rims would be all crappy looking.
Third, I still want those tires. They're almost brand new.

I did fix the problem. After half breaking the beads, and inflating it again, it didn't leak. There was a bunch of dirt stuck in there, that I cleaned out.

But, I sheared the key on the flywheel, the flywheel came off, and busted a chunk off my CDI trigger. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I had a smart a$$ moment.....I would also like to know if any tools actually help in removing tires....anybody??

Old 04-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

I made a tool, from just some flat iron. I bent it and ground it. Didn't work. Screwdrivers seemed to work best on it.

Quick Reply: Impossible to break beads