Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

KAPS Vs. Automatic 5 speed

Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KAPS Vs. Automatic 5 speed

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the forums. I plan on purchasing a utility ATV in the near future.

My last off-road machine was a 1983 Honda 200X ATC; that thing was FUN! Plenty of trail and hill-climbing power!

These days, I think I'll be happier with a utility ATV.

I wanted to get y'all's opinions on Kawasaki KAPS vs. the Honda Automatic 5-speed; which is more reliable?

Thanks for your time,
Have a great day!

Scratcha

Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your input everyone! It was really helpful!!
Have a great one! Click!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know a single person who rides a Kawasaki or Honda. Sorry I couldn't help.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

In our normal riding group me and my son are the only Kawi riders, we have not had any issues whatso ever, one honda is our group had an issue with their reverse. That has been the only tranny issue anyone in our group has had (10 quads 4 hondas, 4 artic cats, and 2 Kawis)

I believe the hondas reverse issue was more an problem with they way the rider treated it more than the failure of the transmision itself...

Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't even look at this post, because I have not a single idea what a KAPS is (thought maybe it was some Chinese brand)!

As for the Honda autos, the only one I would care to own is the new dual-clutch Rancher 420AT. It really is a gear-on-gear, that can be left to shift itself on auto, or shifted manually by pushbuttons. Sweet piece of technology!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everybody for the input. KAPS is another name Kawasaki uses for the CVT type of transmission.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think Honda's Rubicon and Rincon are needlessly complex. On the other hand, I am no fan of rubber band drive either.

My Ranchers have classic autoclutch manual trans, and that is just what I prefer!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks recon for the reply, I like the Rancher myself.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default to you reply

i myself own a 400kaps an it is a stock atv besides tha tire.Everytime iv been rideing with family and friends the almost all off them own a rancher or a rubicon an myself laugh at them. the kaps400 is tipically a powerhouse iv not met a hill or mudhole i couldnt climb or get through in the mud it goes through it like its water an in low range it climbs easy with no spining it'll even climb in high it jus spins iv even out run all of them an they have 500cc an up on flat ground and on any other turf forknowing hondas i myself am a machanic an hondas have to many starter an tranny problems the only problem out of myn ever what the belt slipped in water cause i had nocked my breather hose off with a stick...kawisakis or can-ams are the way to go.the outlander an ds are jus bone stock monsters

Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Range Rover

i drive a warrior myself, but my buddy who pushes his machine hard has never had any issues with his, he has a 420 rancher.....idk how many times i've used my winch to pull him out though....lol he likes to go places he shoudlnt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KAPS Vs. Automatic 5 speed