Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

countershaft splines, STRIPED

Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default countershaft splines, STRIPED

first off, wow. its been about 3 years since the last ive been on here and holy crap has it changed. and like the first time its a problem i need help with again. yesterday i changed the countershaft sprocket (i have 2 that i switch off depending on where im riding) on my honda trx450r and i believe that half of the splines on either the countershaft or the sprocket were striped, dont remember which one. anyways i was riding in the woods near my parents house and all the sudden, nothing. i head something spinning but wasnt moving. i look down and the bolt that holds the countershaft sprocket on was spinning but not much else. i walked up to a neighbors house and got a socket and a flat head screwdriver. i took off the sprocket and saw half the splines on both were stripped, flipped the sprocket around and bolted it back on. it got me home and even with a couple wheelies once i was at a point were i could roll it back if it stripped all together. now heres my question, if only half the splines are still there how long before they strip all together? and if they could strip easily i figure i might as well JB weld that **** together since it looks like i would have to change the countershaft. if i did that would there be any way of getting the sprocket off, like heating it up with a torch or something? (thats probably a stupid question) or does anyone have a better solution? im just hoping that since half the splines are still left on both there might be a fix. thanks very much in advance.