Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Polaris xplorer 250 trans and 4x4

Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris xplorer 250 trans and 4x4

I have a 2000 polaris xplorer 250 and the 4x4 isn't working. I know there are a couple threads on this already but couldn't find one to relate to mine. It has a brand new battery and the awd light illuminates when in drive. Not sure if the Hubs are locking yet though. My problem is the drive shafts from the trans to the front differential is not locking in. It will jump into 4x4 some times but wont stay in and even when the 4x4 selctir is in 2wd it will do it also. but it seams like it is binding up and make a aweful grinding like noise when it does. Some one has told me to check the two sensors on the trans. Not sure what there called. But in one of the threads here it said those where basically neutral high low reverse sensors. Nothing really to do with 4x4. Please help

Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Change the Demand Drive fluid in the hubs first if you haven't already done so and see if it helps.If it doesn't then it's possible you may have an armature plate problem in the hub or other damage. If you take both hubs apart,I'd inspect the bearings,hilliards and replace both armature plates. If any wheel locks in in 2wd,more than likely the plates have become worn and magnetized. Hub fluid really needs to be changed every 50 hrs if you use the machine daily.Plus check for any signs of seal leakage behind the strut and inside the brake rotor area if the fluid is low or none in the hubs when you check this out. Seems like a lot of people overlook this until something happens.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont know if the hubs are locking in. even if they were locking in the driveshft to to the front differential should spin and the cv axles should spin also. If im understanding this correctly: the armature in the hubs lock in and trigger something in the transmission to make the front driveshaft spin and the cv axles? is there some sort of sensor on the trans to make the front driveshaft spin? or is the front driveshaft always suppose to spin even when not in 4x4.. it seems to me when it does jump in to 4x4 that both hubs do lock.. my main problem is that drive saft not sure if if something is broken in the trans or if there is a sensor to engage something in the trans to make it spin

Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

How this system works is when the rear tires slip 1/8 of a turn the inertia from this speeds up the prop shaft from the transmission going to the front differential. This added "torque" or inertia causes the front drive shafts to spin faster,locking in the hilliards in the front hub IF you have it in awd mode. It's an electro/mechanical type awd system.It is normal once the rear wheels gain traction for the front wheels to kick back out. If it feels like it may be pulling,kicking in on one side or the other when not under a load or if you're in 2wd then you may have a problem in the hubs. There are no sensors in the transmission for the awd as it's strictly operated by inertia on the drive shafts and a magnetic charge from the front coils that pull back the armature plates,allowing the hilliard to camber and lock the hubs in.Hope this doesn't confuse you. One simple way to see if the system is working is to jack all 4 tires up off the ground. Crank it up,have it in low range,awd on,and both front tires should turn along with the rear... Also if the prop shaft splines are worn and stripped at the transmission it can affect the front wheels,but usually you would see it not turning or hear the noise.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input! what it sounds like is prop shaft is stripped or not working correctly. i put it on my lift with all four wheels off the ground started it put it in gear and and reved it up only the back tires spin. and the front drive shaft does not spin at all. i checked the fluid where that shaft goes into the trans and it didnt look metalic. i dont really hear any noise (im assuming like a grinding or a stripping sound) is there anyway to check if that shaft is stripped or worn out? without pulling the trans outta this thing? is it worth fixing? Thank you for all your input on this

Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If stripped it would be at the rear of the prop shaft because a lot of people don't see the grease fitting. It's gets dry and the splines strip. Best way is to have in gear,see if you can insert a screw driver from underneath the floor board into the shaft u joint and see if it strips on the transmission shaft. The best way to pull is to have and air impact with a pointed tip to knock the clevis pin out at the front diff. Then you can impact the rear joint towards the transmission(does has room to move) allowing the front of the shaft to come off the front diff. Angle the front shaft towards the left,then impact the rear towards the front off of the transmission shaft.Installation is is in reverse order. New u joints are about $40 for the pair,a new complete shaft is over $200.. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 03-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 2000 polaris xplorer 4x4 that will not engauge into 4 wheel drive the front shaft does spin but the tires do not any suggestions

Old 03-14-2016, 02:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check that the awd light is on when in gear. Check the connections under the front panel that go to each hub. You can also check voltage on each gray wire at this connection. If you have voltage leading to the hubs,it may be a simple grounding issue. You might try a better ground like in this video.