Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

1991 polaris trailboss 4x4 issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 polaris trailboss 4x4 issue

Hey everyone!
Last week during the blizzard here I went wheeling with my Trailboss. At the end of the venture I wound up losing a front wheel bearing and nut. The tire just came flying off...it was crazy!
Anyways I had just recently rebuilt the engine on this beast...and OVERLOOKED much of everything else lol.

As I went through procedures to replaces the bearings and regrease and put fluid in the hub...I noticed it was just packed like a wheel bearing on a car...So I followed the manual and cleaned out the grease and put in ATF..

Now... when I ride her, I have no 4x4 when I get stuck in the snow! I noticed it works in reverse when I hit the override button...

Another issue is im having the LF tire hub engage at random times which is resulting in the quad pulling that direction..Annoying AF!

Any advice in why no mechanical 4x4 lockup going forward and how to test the hub to determine why I have random hub engagement would be terrific! THANK YOU -MATT

Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

At least the engine runs.. Sounds like one armature plate is magnetized if it kicks in even with awd off. Replace BOTH armature plates as cheap as they are. Easy way to check if coils are ok is to have the key on,in gear and hold the plate close to the coil sleeve. When you push the awd button the plates should stick to the coil sleeve. If one side coil doesn't pull,check the awd wire connectors for each wheel under the panel area for power and ground. Plus you can ohm out each coil brown and gray wire. Should be around 25 ohms or so if the coils are ok.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

So I did as you said and Bam, no more lock up, terrific!
I also replaced the hub seal and outer cap o-rings on one side.(they were ripped and shot). BUT now I sprank a leak! I am getting ATF coming out from under the lower CV Boot...dribbling down the lower ball joint ! UGH!
gotta take everything down again and see whats ripped or not seated...Hopefully its an easy fix, im done spending money!

Old 02-13-2016, 02:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Gotta be either the hub or strut seal. My two cents if one's bad,I'd replace the other. All Polaris hub activated awd systems use these same two seals. The strut seal isn't bad after you pull the drive shaft. . Just mark around it,pop it out and drive in a new in in the same spot. The hub seal is different. You can knock it out,but DON'T try to seat this one with a hammer,etc or you will destroy it. Has to be seated using a plate and 20 ton press. Most shops will do this for nothing in most cases if you bring the hub and seal in.Polaris Front 4x4 400 500 Hub Seal Kit 3610019 3610028 | eBay

Old 02-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

I know what you mean. I just wanna be done spending money on this thing, obviously... I can never win.
I figured after it started seeping out there was a seal back there too! DAMN. Its P/N 3610028 (STRUT SEAL)? I wanna order it tonight so I can get it going before bad weather comes again lol!

I changed the hub seal already.. Chiseled the old one out, sanded the area coated with ATF and hammered it square in with a block a wood and a mallet, no leaks there at all on the other side of the knuckle seems to be the problem now :/

Old 02-13-2016, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

My mistake the quad is a 90 BTW not a 91... so Strut Seal P/n is actually 3610027. Just Checked the IPL thank you for the help~!

Old 02-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep the 90 was different on the strut seal. If you were able to get the hub seal in with out any damage or leaks then you're one of the few. Can't count how many came into the shop for me to order and press a new seal after they mangled them. Good luck. Hope you git er done as they say so you can either ride it or sell it.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Awesome thanks for the advice. Up on stands all 4 wheels are turning. Could i remove the rear chain and ride it with FWD just to check and see its working well...or is that destructive to the 4x4...I dont see how it could be?

Old 02-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wouldn't advise removing the rear chain plus if fronts kick in with wheels off the ground that's a good sign the awd is working ok. You can also just pull up to a tree or post see how the front wheels engage.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, they spin while driving up on stands. They also spin while I move the rear tires. When I grab a front tire and spin the rears, I can feel the fronts kicking, but with minimal effort I can stop the rotation of the fronts. I just wanna be sure they are working as supposed. By pulling up to a tree, How can i tell the fronts are Locking up and pulling me? I figured by removing the rear chain, I could confirm front lockup indefinitely...

Quick Reply: 1991 polaris trailboss 4x4 issue