Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Help! 1993 Polaris 350l slow acceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 1993 Polaris 350l slow acceleration!

New here. Sorry if this information is in the forums, but i cant seem to reach it if it is here.

I recently purchased a 1993 polaris 350L atv. Went for my first ride, and put on about 70 miles. The wheeler felt very strong and was keeping up and beating my fathers 2014 450 h.o polaris during the first half of the day. At the end of the ride the atv began to feel weak and sluggish. Pulled off trail and pulled the air filter and noticed that the filter was clogged. Ended our day and headed back, loaded and went home.

Took it apart at home, and found the airbox boot was torn and had sucked a small amount of "dust" into the airbox near the carb inlet. I say dust, because it was not a large amount of dirt, or mud, it was just clinging onto the oily part of the carb mouth. I replaced the boot, and filter and cleaned the carb like i would on any other 2 stroke. I put everything back as it should and adjusted the carb to factory settings.

Here is where my problem begins... The atv now will not idle unless i have the handle bar cable adjustment almost maxed out and the idle adjustment way up, and the atv has a slow, and very sluggish acceleration, gets into the midrange and picks up "ok" but seems to not have the snappy throttle response, or top end pull it use to have.

I looked inside the carb and didnt see any buildup of dust or dirt in the carb, but i know an unknowen amout was being sucked in while i rode that day. It doesnt sound like any internal damage was done to the engine, and it seems to have its usual amount of compression that it did before that ride. I have to do a compression check, but by feel it seems to have a good amount of compression.

What can cause this? In leaning towards a dirty carb, my thought is i either rebuilt the carb incorrectly, or it is still dirty? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-17-2016, 04:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

2 strokes don't like dirt.Compression test first will tell a lot. If it's at least 125 psi or more,then head back into the carb.