Dunes and Desert Photos Post photos of the dunes and the people who ride them

Quadding in Qatar

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadding in Qatar

Hi Folks, just found this site, great place, just what I need ! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I wanted to get my kids (12 and 13) a couple of off road bikes, but found I could get 2 chinese quads for less than the price of 1 second hand bike, so a no brainer really [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] There's plenty of places to ride here, basically the whole country is one big quad track. I've just read all the opinions on here about Chinese quads, and it all makes sense. The engines seem pretty good, but the rest of the machines are made of Swiss cheese. I enjoy spannering them (a necessity before and after any use!), but am getting really frustrated about the lack of spare parts - I'm stretching my bodging skills to the limit.

Anyway, here's a few pics, we can mess about just outside our house, which is basically a rocky desert *** building site, then we can put the quads on the trailer and be in the sandy bits within an hour. The tyres are great for the rocks, but hopeless in the sand. My next mission, should I choose to accept it, is to get another set of rear wheels, with some flappy tyres fitted.

Edit - Hmm, I tried using thumbnails, I guess they don't work here ??

Old 12-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

he should try going up that hill

Old 12-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

wow qatar , thats so far away from here i dont even think i could get to there from here.
there are in fact alot of quad forums ,some of them are down right rude. this is one of the better ones .

Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: zz8t

he should try going up that hill</end quote></div>

That's why we want some flappy tyres [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

are '' paddle tires '' that difficult to get ? i would think with that much sand paddle tires would be standard operating equipment.
ya know kids and all them rocks and black top, i would imaging they would go threw tires rather quickly.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I was over seas in Kuwait I saw kids riding down the interstate don't know if it was illeagal but saw it .

Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Range Rover

I did some time in Qatar and Iraq during OIF/OEF. Actually wanted my roomates back in the states to disassemble my quad and send it to me, but that idea didnt last long after I realized that I had to get it back to the states. I even called my commander and asked if I could have it sent over on one of our C-17's, but he just laughed at me and said, "just keep focused on the mission and getting home safe!". Looks like so much fun!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cataway

are '' paddle tires '' that difficult to get ? i would think with that much sand paddle tires would be standard operating equipment.

ya know kids and all them rocks and black top, i would imaging they would go threw tires rather quickly.</end quote></div>

Hi there.

No they're not difficult to get, I just need to get to it. I really need them on a spare set of wheels, so we can use the existing tyres for rocky stuff, and the paddle type for the dunes.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome pictures. That place looks like the perfect backdrop for a great adventure. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

DV

Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cataway

are '' paddle tires '' that difficult to get ?</end quote></div>

Just been shopping around. The <u>cheapest</u> I can find here are $152 each, and I can't find any the same size as mine (20x10x10), so I definitely need new rims as well, which are probably the same price again. For the two quads this would cost me +/- $1,200, and I'd still have the stock tyres on the front. I don't think the quads are worth spending this much money on, so I think I might just leave them as they are and look for a second hand Banshee for dune bashing.

Are tyres this expensive in the US ??

Quick Reply: Quadding in Qatar