Dunes and Desert Photos Post photos of the dunes and the people who ride them

Little Sahara Sand Dunes - Fillmore, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Sahara Sand Dunes - Fillmore, Utah

Approx. 60,000 acres, large enough that we haven't been able to ride from one end to another and back in one day no matter we had extra fuel, started at sunrise and ended at sunset....

and few clips from helmet cam....

Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like a great place to ride. Don't have those kinds of dunes out here in the Eastern US.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. That place is HUGE. In Michigan we only have about 2,000 acres of dunes we can ride at a 3,000 acre park.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

That place looks sweet to ride!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Same pkace checking how well our Audi Q5 Quattro manage the same dunes

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

and back to atv's....

At the moment unfortunately we are forced (againts our will) to stay in Kansas due my work and Kansas is pretty much worst place for any powersports.
Lucky us, my cousin lives in Colorado and in-laws in Utah, Nevada and Arizona and that axis is the powersports paradize but the 1150 miles - 20 hours trailer tow from KC to SLC is not cheap. I don't mind the longdrive, especially when we reach the Denver on I-70 and start climbing up the Rockies and on the other side waits the senic drive following Colorado river and then continuing to Utah, passing by the Moab, then take highway 6 through the canyons and every time we see the views it feels so great after dead boring flat Kansas...

Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Same pkace checking how well our Audi Q5 Quattro manage the same dunes

When we went on a tour in Canyon De Chelly in Arizona we were in a Mercedes Benz Unimog. What came up behind us in the deep sands of the canyon but one of those Honda Elements. It impresses me as to where some of these, less than rugged looking, vehicles can go.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
When we went on a tour in Canyon De Chelly in Arizona we were in a Mercedes Benz Unimog.....
Man that thing gets me drooling...

I wish I would have money to get new Unimog 5000 series as there is nothing from any other manufacturer that could get even close to this off-roader with portal axles, all 3 100% lockers and crawling speed low range.

Anyways, Audi Quattro did extremely well considering I had street tires and I didn't air down. Would I do that daily? NO as the EDL (ABS based side by side control) is "friction control" and friction means heat and yes my brakes got hot enough that I got reminded new whiz-bang traction control systems are far being as good as three (front, mid, rear) 100% mechanical lockers I had on my old Mercedes G.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Man that thing gets me drooling...

I wish I would have money to get new Unimog 5000 series as there is nothing from any other manufacturer that could get even close to this off-roader with portal axles, all 3 100% lockers and crawling speed low range.

Anyways, Audi Quattro did extremely well considering I had street tires and I didn't air down. Would I do that daily? NO as the EDL (ABS based side by side control) is "friction control" and friction means heat and yes my brakes got hot enough that I got reminded new whiz-bang traction control systems are far being as good as three (front, mid, rear) 100% mechanical lockers I had on my old Mercedes G.
One bad winter I saw a guy with a Unimog that had a front end loader and a backhoe mounted on it. Got to be the most versatile road worthy vehicle out there. I also drool every time I see one.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned something new today. I knew what portal axles were but never knew what they were called. The Unimog and all it's attachments are amazing. But I'd settle for a Gama Goat. I saw one for sale years ago and wished I had one. It's 6x6 and amphibious.

Quick Reply: Little Sahara Sand Dunes - Fillmore, Utah