Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

YFZ 450 paddle help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ 450 paddle help

I have a stock 2006 YFZ 450 and I ride at Silver Lake in MI. I have 3 basic questions because I have never owned paddles and do not want to buy 2-3 sets to be happy. I am a 100% recreational rider and I do not drag. I like riding the hills, bowls, jumps, sliding, wheelieing up the hills, side-hilling, etc.

First question: Reading through the forums it sounds like people really like the haulers and the sand stars. Based on what everyone is saying I was thinking that sand stars would turn better and be easier to throw around. I have also seen the sand stars on some of the dune machines highlighted in the atv magazines. Which is the best overall tire for recreational riding on the sand in Michigan?

Second question: How many paddles and what size is the most versatile and matched to the power of my bike?

Third question: How important are the front tires? I have ridden many times in the dunes without paddles and had a blast every time. I have also never felt like I could not turn. Noone is really discussing the front tires in the forums.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what you are doing, the Sand Stars should be fine. Haulers get better traction, and are lighter than the Sand stars, but for your type of riding, the Sand Stars will work well for you.

As for the fronts, I rode for years with knobbies on the front, and thought they worked fine. HOWEVER, once I tried the ribbed front sand tires on the front, I realized just how much better they actually DO inb the sand verses the knobbies. From now on, I will ALWAYS use the ribbed front tires. IMO, they truly DO make a big difference, especially when turning at higher speeds.

Depends on your budget though. Try out a friends front sand tires if you have that option (there are TONS of YFZs out there). You can easily get by without front sand tires, but IMO, they are worth the money if you do lots of sand riding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you do monster jumping the lighter weight wheels will do just fine the I have run the .125 for a few years with no problem. The sand stars would work good for you. The kind of riding you do I would get some fronts.