Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Brute Force at Little Sa. OK

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Force at Little Sa. OK

Ok so some buddies of mine who ride sport quads was talking about taking a trip to Little sahara ok, and asked if I would want to go with. I dont own a sport bike, dont have a need for one really, And I have NEVER riden in the sand. That being said, How well will a brute force with stock tires do in the sand? Is it even worth thinking about going? This would be the only time I would go to the dunes doubt I ever would go again since its a 7hr drive so spendin cash on special tires is out.

I have heard of ppl taking utes but never heard jsut how well they do and will I be able to at least keep up with the sports? Really dont want to waste my time and money and gas to just bury myself in the sand lol.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I don't know if it's worth driving all the way across Michigan to ride at Silver Lake. I've been thinking about it for 11 years but that's all, just thinking about it.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

Let me tell you the many ways you would have fun and it would be well worth it for you. We have brought a Honda Rancher to Glamis and had a blast on it. Of course it couldn't climb all of the huge hills and dunes but it got almost everywhere. We have also brought a Brute Force with bald tires out to Sand Mountain Utah and had a blast. It went pretty well and provided plenty of fun. If we ever had a hard time on a hill we just put it into 4high and went. So if I were you I would definitely take your Brute to Little Sahara Ok. That place is small with small dunes that you should be able to climb with no problems at all. You won't regret it! Go have fun!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you live in MI you have to try the Silver lake dunes. Make the cross state drive or what ever, I guarentee you will have a great time.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replys, helped boost my confidence in taking the brute. If I end up going is there anything I need to do to pre ride or post ride about sand getting up in everything?

I pretty much just ride my hay fields and some medium mudd. I just keep everything washed out after those rides. Wasnt sure if sand was another monster altogther or not.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Run low on the air pressure in your tires. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Don't know what you have them on for your normal riding, but I think 4psi is about where you're going to want to be. Someone like Silverbomb that's had a ute in sand my be able to give you a more accurate number.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Take your Brute and have a fun time. My sons own highly modified sport atvs and when it comes to wanting to cruise around they take my Grizzlies out. You will have the best ride. IRS on the sand is great.

When we go to Little Sahara we take all the toys, sandrail, sport atvs and grizzlies(3 of them).

You can keep up with them and you can climb anything there. No special tires needed. You have 4 wheel drive.

Have fun.

When are you going, we might be there. We are going in mid October for a week.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Don't know if you have been yet, but your brute force will go everywhere at little sahara with no problems whatsoever. Our group goes there and we have guys with all types from modded ds650, yfz 450 to bone stock 4x4 rancher and foreman. by the way the rancher is a 350 and I have made it up all of the dunes personally on it (max height is probably around 70'-0"), so on a 650 brute, no problem whatso ever. As far as the trail riding at Little sahara you will keep up there as well as there is no place to open the sports up my ds650 stays in 2-3 gear buddies yfz 450 stays in 1-2 on the trails. Never been able to ride any dunes other than LS OK as I live in MO, but 7 hour drive is well worth it out there. You probably won't need to let out air either unless you just want to. If you have already gone you already know it was worth it.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info, we havent went yet, the trip got canceled so now just waiting to go ride somewhere else, The option is still there tho since I have family in Ok and some friends that go there when they can. I live in MO also, not sure how far from Lil Sahara we are but im up in north central MO bout 2 hours east of KC and hour and a half north west of Columbia

Old 10-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

As far as pre and post ride, do not oil and grease before you go as the sand will get in if you do. Otherwise rinse off afterwards is all we do. The only time my bearings have gone out, it ended up being full of mud (from chadwick) not sand. Taken 4- different rides out there 5 times each and no problems yet....