Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
You live in a beautiful area.
Yes, agreed and same back to you. Utah is an amazing and beautiful state. Love to go there and in fact am wife and I are taking the kids on the Utah National Park tour this summer with our travel trailer. Yeah, it will be hot but 100% worth it.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
Yes, agreed and same back to you. Utah is an amazing and beautiful state. Love to go there and in fact am wife and I are taking the kids on the Utah National Park tour this summer with our travel trailer. Yeah, it will be hot but 100% worth it.
An adventure of a life time for sure

Old 03-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Here's another video from out fall ride n the Gooseberry & Great Western Trail.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta

That's the mill. That's where the deer came and joined us for lunch.
We rode past the Kimberly Mine on our way out of Fish Creek on our way to my place.
Jones Road is across the canyon on the east side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCimkw7wceQ

This is the Gooseberry Trail. Its connected to the Paiute Trail just east of Salina, UT.
Doug and I picked the perfect day to ride.
I remember seeing the Kimberly Mine. Neat area. You could spend a couple months and still not see all the trails that make up the Paiute.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

This is my all time favorite trail.

Its Mineral Fork Canyon in Big Cottonwood Canyon east of Sale Lake City. Its the only ATV trail in Salt Lake County and its only 5.3 miles from the bottom to the top and then you turn around and come back down.

Its an old mining road and now its only open too 50" machines. This was 8/4/15

The switchbacks cross the creek right next to this small waterfall. Its awesome.

I took this video on our way back out.

We saw about a half dozen mountain goats on out was up the canyon.

This is just over half way up looking back down the canyon.

This right near the top of the canyon looking back.

Took this one from the same spot I took the previous picture. Those mine tailings are the end of the trail and where we're having dinner.

Here' a video crossing that last stretch of trail. Camera in one hand throttle in the other.

Here we are at the end of the trail. You can see the switchbacks we came up in the shadows.

Up on that ridge there were several goats waiting to head down the canyon.

Zoomed in here's one of them.

There were quite a few. Amazing the cliffs they climb on.

Dinner.

Goats starting down the canyon.

Here's some of the goats heading down what we came up. We counted 24 of them that night.

That was probably the best ride I've had up there and I've been there tons of times.

Even though its only a 5.3 mile long trail its worth the 190 mile drive to get there.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't have scenery like that where I ride but I don't have to worry about falling down the side of a mountain.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Neat seeing mountain goats. Haven't seen any in all my travels. Ran into a guy looking across the valley below Mt. Belknap on the 01 main trail. Said he often sees them across the way. Also haven't seen mountain lions either. I really don't care if I see a mountain lion in the wild. They're too close if you can see them.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

GREAT pictures and I'll check out the vids when I have a bit more time. I love trails like that.

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
We don't have scenery like that where I ride but I don't have to worry about falling down the side of a mountain.
The steep sides make it all that more exhilarating. I certainly don't mind trails that have drop offs like that but there is a trail in Taylor Park, CO that will make your butt pucker big time. 50" trail and it has a very long drop off like that, problem is the trail has a few sections that are also off camber and you have to lean into the hill. The trail has become that way from the constantly shifting scree coming down. It is not for the squeamish.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

I lived in Arvada from '85 to '90. I love CO. This is Radical Hill Mine. Took friends over there in the late 90s.

This was the old mud bog going up to Holt Cross City before the Army Corp of Engineers blasted it, drained it and hauled in road base to make it more accessible to more people. Personally I think they ruined the road. Prior to them draining the bog Holy Cross was only accessible maybe 8 weeks of the year. Just over 4 miles long it was low-range low gear all the way. Lockers helped a lot too.
This is hands down my favorite 4-wd road.

This was the town of Holy Cross 1987-88.

We camped in the town a couple of times before it was blocked off.
Late Aug every night was below freezing. We're at the tree line so its just below 11,000 ft.

Another shot of the road to Holy Cross. I miss that old truck big time.

Red Cone Pass. Back in the 80's few ever attempted to climb back up. It was even marked as a 1-way trail.

These two pictures we were heading up to the top of Mt Antero, 14,275 ft.
Back then you could drive a vehicle up on top of the peak.
It wasn't until I was there that I truly understood the term "breath taking". Its as close to Heaven as I've ever been.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Look familiar?

That one-way still exists, it's on the descent portion on the red peak on the right. And of course that is Radical Hill in the background. Red Cone staging area is about a 1 hour drive from my house.

Up on the Radical Hill trail looking back towards Red Cone.

I'm trying to remember the butt-pucker trail but I think it was Tellurium Creek which is very near Antero.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah