Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Arrowhead Mountain Ski Area ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Arrowhead Mountain Ski Area ride

Took a dusty ride up Arrowhead Mt. Ski Area in Claremont, NH. It's a moderate ride with some off cambers, roots, rocks, and steep areas. It usually has several water/mudholes that can get pretty deep but because of a severe drought they've dried up. Arrowhead is one of many local ski areas in New England that isn't used for skiing any longer.

YouTube - Arrowhead Mountain Ski Area, Claremont, NH

Attached Thumbnails Arrowhead Mountain Ski Area ride-sickleride-006a.jpg   Arrowhead Mountain Ski Area ride-sickleride-007a.jpg   Arrowhead Mountain Ski Area ride-arrowhead-001a.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome video Moose, it looks like you got all the bugs worked out!!

That old chair lift looks like it's been out of commision for a long time, how long ago did the ski resort close??

It kills me that the Forest Servive "leases" mountains to resort ownes and allow them to rape the hill sides and yet they would love to close off little tiny ATV trails.

Hears an interesting read;

Dear Mr Forest Service Utah Trail News

Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Not sure what to think about the article, Specta. Are these "public" lands that are being closed off by the government? Or are they private lands that someone allowed trails to run through? If they are public lands it's a travesty for sure. I don't mind the modern tree work as they CAN be more selective in what is harvested which was one of the reasons the National Forest system was started. That is as a natural resource. I also wonder if it will be temporary while they are logging. I have mixed emotions about the usage as a whole and I believe whoever's machine that was should be fined or charged for a cleanup of the oil. I don't think one group should have any more rights than the other. If done properly (which this whole fiasco doesn't look like) logging, ATVing, hiking, biking, horseback riding, etc. can get along with each other. And the ATVers and the loggers pay fees that can be put back into the forest. On the other hand, I see what the guy was talking about as an abuse. I guess I'd like to know who is allowing what and what the end result will be. When I was riding in Maine a few weeks back we were riding on private property (as well as most trails in NH too). When we came up to a logger that was working we stopped until waved by. I guess it's different here in that the paper companies bought up huge patches of the land in Northern Maine and are the ones allowing us to ride on the roads they've established. There are a handful of public parks that allow ATVs but they are few and nothing on the scale of what is out in the West.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

All public lands Moose and their not cutting the trees for timber, not sure why but they will leave them where they are forever.

I'd love to be able to show you the senseless damage done by the Forest Service. When questioned in person about the damage done to close a harmless trail they can't provide an answer.

Tough topic LOL

Great video Moose!!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Specta
All public lands Moose and their not cutting the trees for timber, not sure why but they will leave them where they are forever.

I'd love to be able to show you the senseless damage done by the Forest Service. When questioned in person about the damage done to close a harmless trail they can't provide an answer.

Tough topic LOL

Great video Moose!!
That's really weird that they aren't using them for timber or that they aren't cutting the bug infested trees. I do understand thinning out overgrowth to keep the risk of fire down. Let us know if anything gets explained. It just seems like none of it makes sense to me.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?

nice pics Moose

Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Thanks DD. An addendum to my narrative is that I've learned they actually still use the ski area in the wintertime. It just didn't look like they do.