Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV

I was looking through all these great posts of family riding pics and thought I'd share a few of ours.

We've been a hair scramble racing family since my daughter was 5 (she's now 12). She and I raced hard for 6 years and then started to get burnt out. We've been looking for a way to do some off-roading, but at a more relaxed pace. We bought her a Honda 250 ex Christmas before last and she has had fun trail riding with her friends. I have and old Polaris SP 500 and we've spent some quality time riding together too, but we always miss having Mom and her younger sister around. Last month with spring coming on strong, my wife comes to me and says she's been thinking of wanting to do some riding with us. So to make a long story short, we ended up buying two new ATVs. An "11 Polaris 550 Touring for her and my 4 year old and a "11 Can-Am Renegade 800 xxc for me. My wife has been around ATVs and dirt bikes since she met me, but this is the first of her own. I'm really excited about her new found interest in 4wheeling and the pride she has taken in her new Polaris.

Now we have multiple trips planned for family riding. We live in central Virginia and the West Virginia trails are about 4 hours away for us. We have a 40' toy-hauler (that we bought for racing) so we can make a weekend out of the trip and get in some camping time too.

Our first trip was two weekends ago at Burning Rock Off-road Park in Sophia WV. They have over 100 miles of trails, a nice camp ground, and cabins. We had a great time even though we only got one day of riding in because of rain on our second day. My wife love the trails. We stayed on the Green, easy trials and she thought they we just challenging enough for our 1st experience. Her passenger, my soon to be 5 year old daughter is also enjoying the experience too. I can see her on her own machine in a few years. Though she's content now just riding with Mommy. My older daughter was very happy to be out with the whole family on the trail. She couldn't get enough and never wanted to stop. I led and kept a slower pace, making sure to stop often for breaks and to make sure everyone was having a good time. We had lunch on the trail and just had a nice relaxing ride. The scenery was awesome and we met some very nice people out on the trip.

We have a 3 day trip booked back at BR over Memorial day weekend and are planning a trip to Ride Royal Blue in TN at the end of July. I'm really glad we've found a way for the whole family to enjoy off-roading and camping is just a bonus. I always felt guilty spending the amount of time and money on racing when only the two of us were getting to participate. My wife love watching and cheering up on, but it's just not the same...

Anyway here are a few pictures form our first of many trips....

Attached Thumbnails Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV-img_0129s.jpg   Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV-img_0128s.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

A few more at the camp site...

Attached Thumbnails Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV-img_0123s.jpg   Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV-img_0122s.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

The happy new Po-Po owners....

Attached Thumbnails Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV-img_0124s.jpg   Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV-img_0127s.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like a great time had by all! Good stuff. Nice toy hauler too.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Rick, does your wife have any single sisters ? That's a good woman you've got there.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good Times!

Looks like the family had a great time.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! We really did have a great time and can't wait for the next trip.

cncpro, yeah she's purrty good most of the time.
Single sisters? No, but she does have a brother that I'm worried might go both way's, but you're probably not into that....

Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider

Lmao !

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by cncpro
Lmao !

Old 05-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

Enjoyed your pics. My wife also enjoys scenic rides with me typically at a slower pace. But having an outdoor activity she is willing to participate in sure is great.

Between job conflicts and distance to good public riding areas, wife and I have not been able to make it out "east" or even out "west" to ride those scenic areas that have been posted on this website. We regularly look at pics posted by members showing the beauty of these areas. Hopefully, when one of us retires so that we can mesh vacation times we will take time to try some of these areas.

Quick Reply: Family's 1st ATV trip to Burning Rock WV