Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Back from Jackman, Maine

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Back from Jackman, Maine

Vacation was great. We took a week and headed back to Jackman, Maine for vacation again this year. Started the week by taking a good long ride by myself and ended up on a goat path going up a steep mountain. Was laying on the handlebars wondering when the trail would crest the peak. Reminded myself that I was indeed alone and out of cell range so I turned around at a water bar that made the trail just wide enough to do a 20 point turn and slide back down the boulders I had just knocked loose on the way up. Nothing like riding on football sized ball bearings. Saw a family of red foxes but they took off before I had time to take their picture. Headed back to the cabin and saw a cow moose with a calf moose behind it. Moose calves are about as cute as bulldogs. Next day, Moose One joined me and we tried to drop down to a town called The Forks. Went around the mountain that I decided not to climb and went down the other side and it poured on us. Got the rain gear on and it didn't matter. Still got soaked by the rain that hit us in the face and ran down insided the gortex. Saw a doe and a fawn that day. Next day was threatening rain so we took a drive in the Nissan Titan over to the Greenville/Moosehead Lake area and hiked up to the B-52 crash site from an accident back in the early 60s. It was kind of sobering to hike up a debris field that stretched out over several football fields in length. And that was after much of the salvageable parts were taken out by the Air Force. Miraculously 2 crewmen survived even though the night they crashed was -30 degrees and the snow was over 4 feet deep. See The B-52 Crash on Elephant Mountain Maine for the story. Mrs. Moose and I went for a ride Thursday, the 7th. Was beautiful out with dry air in the low 70s. Made a couple wrong turns, had to backtrack because of beavers messing up a trail and making a pond, but had a good run. Stopped for lunch but were getting eaten alive by the black flies and horse flies. I ate my sandwich while driving fast enough to outrun the deer flies. Tired after the 5 hour drive home but glad to be back. First pic is of a train loaded with wood that had been harvested in the area. 2nd is a typical shot of the trails up that way. Lots of trails where you can open it up as you enjoy the scenery. 3rd and 4th are shots of cow moose with calf. They were about 50 yards away.

Attached Thumbnails Back from Jackman, Maine-jackmanmaine2011-002a.jpg   Back from Jackman, Maine-jackmanmaine2011-008a.jpg   Back from Jackman, Maine-jackmanmaine2011-013a.jpg   Back from Jackman, Maine-jackmanmaine2011-015a.jpg  
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Default Some more pics of vacation.

1st pic is of my son, Moose One doing his Vin Diesel look. This is the same day that we got soaked. One side of the mountain it was pouring, other side was sunny and dry. Other pics are of some of the debris field from when the B-52 went down in Greenville, Maine.

Attached Thumbnails Back from Jackman, Maine-jackmanmaine2011-016a.jpg   Back from Jackman, Maine-jackmanmaine2011-023a.jpg   Back from Jackman, Maine-jackmanmaine2011-024a.jpg   Back from Jackman, Maine-jackmanmaine2011-025a.jpg  
Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

Me being Norwegian, I know that those are train tracks, Swedes will argue that they are either moose or elk tracks until they get hit by a train

Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Red400EXRod
Me being Norwegian, I know that those are train tracks, Swedes will argue that they are either moose or elk tracks until they get hit by a train
Being a Norwegian you must know the old saying: "You can always tell a Norwegian, but you can't tell him much."

Ufda!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like Colburn Mt. that trail can be a treat! Hope to get up that way in the fall.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by nuckfutz
Sounds like Colburn Mt. that trail can be a treat! Hope to get up that way in the fall.
It was indeed Colburn Mt. If I had someone with me or if I knew where it went I might have gone further up than I did. I think I went up about a 1/4 mile or so judging by the odometer. Does that trail come out on the other side of the mountain? On the way back from the Forks area I noticed a 2-track going up the other side with a stop sign. Got me thinking it was a one way trail that you ride from the other side.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red400EXRod

that might be one of the funniest things I've seen you post, red!

Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice! If possible, I also want to have such an experience.

Originally Posted by beergut

that might be one of the funniest things I've seen you post, red!
How Long Does it Take for Nicotine to Leave Your System

Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nolahiman
Looks nice! If possible, I also want to have such an experience.

How Long Does it Take for Nicotine to Leave Your System

you want to get hit by a train?