Farming, Beef, Dairy, Insect, Equipment, ETC. Discussion on farming, beef, dairy, insect, equipment, etc

Using a 4' or 6' Flex harrow with ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a 4' or 6' Flex harrow with ATV

I need something to break up my horse puckies in the field, so I'm torn between a 4' or 6' wide, 5" large chain link with Points, flexiable harrow. Both are sets of chains are approx. 48 in length, The chain links are like 5" squares, and maybe close to 1/2" diameter steel.

I also already own a tractor, but wonder if one or either could be pulled with a 420 Rancher as I dont really know what they weight, or what kind of drag coeifficent the harrows will have with the drag points pointing down. The Rancher tends to have a higher gear ratio than the Foremans, but not by much. The harrows drag angle backwords which will help to reduce the drag wieght some.Theres about $130 difference between the two, and I'm sure the 6' wide weights about 100 lbs and 4' chain might weight 70 lbs, and they both hook over a ball on your ATV or Tractor. I have less that 10 acres I need to only drag parts of as they drop puckies only their choice areas.

Anyone have any experience with ATVs and Harrows?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

you should not have a problem with eather of them

Old 03-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

Bought the 6 foot. I'll try it out this week or weekend

Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 PM
rv
Pro Rider

i pull harrow all the time with my qadd i even throw a little extra waight on some times when on real rough ground , puls easy i also use it to help plant deer plots to work the seeds in a bit.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

RV,

I'm guessing your using your Brute for the harrow?

Results: Well I worked the harrow with my o8 4x4 Rancher, and worked fine in first gear (in 2 wheel drive), But Second gear I felt was just too fast, and too hard on the drive train. I had some steep up-hills, with fairly thick growth, and I wouldn't stop on these until I was ontop, so not to over buren the engine & clutch.

A problem I had, while in first gear, the back corners of the flex harrow flipping up and laying upside down thereby reducing the amount of total drag. So I rounded up another large, 12' chain, and linked it on the rear, and allowed the extra chain length to drag (about 2.5 feet on each side) from each rear corner and I never had the back corners of the harrow flop over again.

I also tried the flex harrow with my o6 2x4 350 Rancher. It also worked alright, but when trying to cross a creek, I got stuck on the upside bank and had to manually lift the harrow out. This would had been the only time I would require the use of 4 wheel drive.

I wouldn't recommend using one in dry conditions as your atv would be sucking in large amounts of dust into the intake. My ground was slightly damp durning my drag.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:35 PM
rv
Pro Rider

yes i use my 650 sra has plenty of power and i always use low i was thinking of buying a cultivator also to plow up the garden i see sears has one for small garden tractors i wonder if it would hold up to being pulled buy a quad?

Old 04-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always dragged an old mattress spring (minus the stuffing, of course) behind my atv's to knock down the horse puckies. It works well and is free! You can also add some weight using some cement blocks or wood, whatever you have around. I have found it works well without the weight.