Fishing! Salt & Fresh Water. Tackle, Bait. Discuss fishing tips, tricks and techniques.

small can be better

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small can be better

Here's a tip for those planning fishing trips for next summer. Check out Northern Wisconsin, not the big popular lakes, but the small (30-60 acres) lakes off the beaten track. There are a lot of them, and the bass fishing can be phenominal. I have a relative who is a bass pro. He comes here every summer from CA. He never ceases to be amazed at how we can pull up to a boat launch, and there won't be another rig parked there. Where he's from, there would be dozens of boats on a 50-acre lake, which is big by Southern CA standards. The fish aren't as big here, but we do get them up to 22 inches, and there are a lot of them in the 18-inch range. Specifically, check out the lakes near the Birchwood Fire Lane in Washburn County.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

Usually the smaller lakes are just choc full of fish because not very many people fish them.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

not all the little lakes in Wisconsin are that lucky ,In my county I live in they get pounded hard all year long ,

Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Originally Posted by steiner
not all the little lakes in Wisconsin are that lucky ,In my county I live in they get pounded hard all year long ,
You've got me thinking. I'm guessing that the reason small lakes around here don't get much pressure is that there are a lot of big lakes nearby (300+ acres). They must be taking the pressure off the small lakes. Having a lot of lakes also reduces pressure on any one of them.

I've lived here twenty years, and I fish a lot. But I see small lakes on the map that are within five miles of me that I've never had time to try...yet. There is one that looks particularly promising and I've heard great things about it. It's just such a long hike to get to it. However, it is near a logging road that has just been opened to ATV's, so I'll be riding back there come spring.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

right on that sounds like fun !!!!