General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Plowing snow on 1/4 private driveway

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing snow on 1/4 private driveway

I recently purchased a home with a 1/4 mile private drive. Does anyone have any experiences plowing snow? I'm sure that my 09 500 Polaris Touring has enough power to plow but this seems like too long of a drive to do with an ATV.
I could buy a plow for my 3/4 Chevy but I'm sure that it would be very expensive.
I've heard that snow forms into ice and makes it very difficult to raise and lower the blade on an ATV.
I've never used a snow plow on a truck or an ATV, so I am unfamiliar with the process.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

My driveway is 4000 sqft, and clearing that with an atv can be a challenge when the snow is deep (and thats a sportsman 800 with a 5' plow) ($700)

there are snowblower attachments that you may wish to look at ... but they aren't cheap ($5k)

a much cheaper route is to get a plow for the pickup (Inside 2500$)

i wouldnt worry about ice forming on the plow in that distance ... so long as the snow is dry itll plow fine ... but as the banks get taller, itll get progressively harder to get the snow over them

Old 10-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

I plow my driveway with my Sportsman 500 H.O. It can push ALOT of snow really suprising how much it can push. Just put it in Low push nice and slow if it starts to slow you down give it some throttle :P

Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Snow Plowing

I bought a new snow plow before last winter...best 350 (rocky mountain atv) i ever spent. I plow with an 08 big bear 400 and use a 50 inch plow raised with a winch. From my experience I have learned a few things...for the most part it is possible to plow in two wheel drive...when you think that you have plowed the snow far enough off of your drive: move it more: I try to plow back into my yard about 15 feet- and I live in Ohio where I don't get a huge amount of snow at once...snow is much easier to move right after it falls: once you pile it up and then it thaws and refreezes it turns into a big pile of ice basically...plow will take you drive right down to the surface:for me this is concrete...when I plowed my neighbors drive he had to rake gravel out of his yard in the spring...my garage sits on the left side of the drive as I face it from the road. I start at the left side and the road, I set my plow at and angle and push off the end of my driveway working left to right away from garage...you will be very surprised how well your plow works with an atv. Any other questions let us know!!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have been plowing our driveway with my Polaris 400 HO for 3 years now and haven't had any issues keeping it clean with minimal effort! You will be amazed at just how well an ATV plow setup will work for you and it is MUCH more menuverable then a pickup blade at a fraction of the price! The bonus here is you actually get to ride you atv in the winter!