General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Longest ATV Trail in US

Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Western Trail

I would have to say the Great Western Trail has to be one of the longest in the USA but I could be wrong.

to quote:
"The Great Western Trail is a unique corridor of braided and paralleling trails for both motorized and non-motorized users. The trail system traverses 4,455 miles through Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana."

I have ridden much of it in Utah, here is what the same site has to say about the Utah section:
"Over 1,600 miles of Great Western Trail exist in Utah. The trail begins at the Idaho border west of Bear Lake near Beaver Mountain. It then passes along the Wasatch Front near Peter Sinks and Hardware Ranch, moving down through Brighton Ski Resort, around Mount Timpanogos, and east to Skyline Drive. Trails continues past Fish Lake moving south near Bryce Canyon National Park, Deer Springs Wash, through the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument and exits the state midway between Kanab and Page, Arizona."

Here is the link I referenced, good luck planning your trip, I wish I had a month to just ride, so I am very envious.

Great Western Trail | Utah.com

Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default long trail

I just remembered this site that actually rode the Great Western Trail in its entirety along with sections of Canada (before entering the USA) and Mexico (after exiting the USA). I find this a great reference for what to expect on a multi day ATV trip. perhaps it would be useful for you too?

Quadtrek.net

Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grizzly660fan
The trail begins at the Idaho border west of Bear Lake near Beaver Mountain.

mmmmmmmm- beer lake (homersmiley)

Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by grizzly660fan
The trail begins at the Idaho border west of Bear Lake near Beaver Mountain.
mmmmmmm- beaver (giggidygiggidysmile)

-my two favorite words in one sentence

Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

Maine claims 5,000 miles of trails. Some are not linked together you would have to do your homework before heading out. I have ridden snowmobiles from one end of that state to the other.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by nuckfutz
Maine claims 5,000 miles of trails. Some are not linked together you would have to do your homework before heading out. I have ridden snowmobiles from one end of that state to the other.
I can't locate the article- I read it maybe a year or two ago- but (aside from the useless ma, ct & ri states) nh, vt & me is an atv trail jackpot- northern newengland never gets due credit- but between those 3 states alone I bet you're looking at around 6000+ miles of trails- and a lot of them run into ny & canada- just most of them are very rocky- but beautiful.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen trails that go into Canada here in Maine, but am not sure about the logistics of crossing the border and riding in another country. I know that you can ride from one end of Aroostook County to the other on ATV trails. I know this year I want to try the new Downeast Rail Trail. Its not that exciting as far as atv trails go, but should be good for some unique scenery.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the Eastern trails in Maine account for about 1200 miles altogether. Not sure if you can go into Canada or not on that side. We went up to the border with Canada from Jackman last summer. Was a nice enough ride but we didn't have up to date passports so didn't want to go over.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

here's a link cnc just posted- these trails (jackman) lead right into canada...

Jackman Maine ATV trails - Bulldog Camps

seems like a great place to camp-

Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
here's a link cnc just posted- these trails (jackman) lead right into canada...

Jackman Maine ATV trails - Bulldog Camps

seems like a great place to camp-
Riding from Bulldog to Jackman would take at least a couple hours. Probably more like 3. South of there is The Forks. We never made it that far south.

Once in Jackman it's a full days ride to go east over to the Moosehead Lake area.

When we stayed in Jackman it took us maybe 2-2.5 hours to go to the Canada/US border.

Not a lot of technical trails. Mostly open logging roads with a speed limit around 30-35 if I remember right.