General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV and Road use

Old 04-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATV and Road use

New poster here but have been unable to find any answers to this question so hope you guys may be able to help.

I have a desire to get a 4x to carry with me in my truck when we travel. Here in AZ we can license an ATV to ride on streets and roads (no highways).

My desire is to as I stated above obtain a 4x with passenger capability (like the polaris) so my wife and I can just tour around a local area much like on a motorcycle, but the ATV would be easier to load/unload.

Does anyone know if there is a listing of states that would be reciprocal or if their state would allow an ATV on roads/streets. Supposedly Utah does but it is a community type of thing (based on population?). SOme states allow licensed golf carts so they should be compatible with ATV's.

I have asked on several RV forums with no luck.

any info appreciated.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local laws can vary so much, thats a hard one to answer, maybe some time on the internet googling the states and areas you want info on would give you some contacts on county board members, DOT officers, etc, to find out exactly what is allowed and what is not. Even the local police/state troopers in those areas would be able to help you out, possibly.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes that is why I came to an ATV site. I have looked but there are no listing for atv's to peruse so I figured folks in the various states that may use this site would know.

I called my DMV and got the same response as yours. As to the various states we plan to visit as many as we can in the next couple of years. Right now dont know if we will go to the SE, North midwest, wife is talking of here to massachuset.

To many to try and contact individually.

thanks for the response.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Texas: atvs/utvs/dirtbikes are illegal on roads, even dirt roads. utvs can get licensed/insured if the vehicle passes the state inspection and meet all of the normal requirements of a regular vehicle/truck. utvs don't lack a lot being legal. the chinese gokarts are very close to being able to pass the state inspection(cause all they lack is a windshield and a license plate light and of course insurance). that's all the utvs lack also. now, golf carts in some local communities fall under a "farm/ranch" provision as a slow mover-so a lot of elderly have the orange reflective triangle on the rear of the golf cart and the cops don't mess with them. but they'll chase after the atv/utv/dirtbike folks.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I can't say for all states but here in Indiana you go through the DNR for a registration number which is placed in a clearly visible location on the machine.$30 for a three year sticker (sticker the size of a deck of cards) With this registration you are legal to ride county roads and along the sides of state roads. In towns will vary on local laws and ordinances. Another plus for IN. is out of state registrations are accepted for use in the state. Some states follow this rule others don't, like MI. which is just 30 minutes away from me where I have to also have a MI. sticker. Try checking with the DNR for different states.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well this seems to be getting some answers. Here in AZ you have to update to lights to include brake if there are none, have MC rear view mirrors and can ride as like a MC/car on streets and roads, also liability Ins.. Do you guys know if they would accept the plates for one of these as it seems the rules are pretty close?

BTW we also have and OHV sticker required to ride off roads, these are not what I am calling a license, but it is an actual license plate like a car/MC would have.

I have gone to the state DMV sites but it would take a long time to fill out the email stuff for a reply, (almost like the questionair to join here, but longer).

Old 05-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know some have replied and this does not appear to have much interest, but here is what I have heard so far:

Arkansas does not allow ATV’s to be converted for road use.

We use the MV70 found on our website @ Driver Services Forms and Other Documents - MT Dept of Justice to license an ATV as street legal. A quick glance appears we have similar requirements. An ATV in Montana can be registered as street legal and for off-highway use.

We do have registration for street legal ATV's. In order for it to be registered as street legal it would need to pass a safety inspection. For the requirements to pass a safety inspection you need to contact Public Safety at 801-965-4461. Monica, Division of Motor Vehicles, Utah State Tax Commission

If your ATV has Arizona license plates, you can ride it on any public road in Wyoming except interstate highways.

Please visit the following website to find out all of the information you will need regarding ATV use in Idaho. (basically yes, see link)
Motorbikes & ATVs

ATV's are not intended for on road use and cannot be made into street legal vehicles in Michigan. (Don’t know if this means cant be ridden if licensed in another state)

Now will need to look for one to set up for 2 to ride. Have seen the Polaris but at $10K its a bit much so will look for alternatives.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

For Utah information maybe Specta can help. He's been out that way for a while now. ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community - View Profile: Specta

Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Trailblazer

ATV Operation
  • All-terrain vehicles are prohibited from operating on public highways, streets and roads. Pennsylvania allows ATVs to be used on trails found on state-owned property as long as the trail is clearly marked for such use. Specific highways and roads may be used for ATV operation if designated for such use by the governing authority in the area. All-terrain vehicles may be used on private property with consent from the property owner

Read more: Pennsylvania Laws for Driving ATVs on the Road | eHow.com Pennsylvania Laws for Driving ATVs on the Road | eHow.com

Old 05-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

southern west virgina is most 4wheeler friendly area in the states!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATV and Road use