General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Selling without title or transferred title.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling without title or transferred title.

I have three four wheelers, a Honda Rancher I bought new and I have the certificate of origin the dealer provided. Two Kawasaki Bayous that I bought from a man that had two boys. One he had the title for the other he couldn't find and said he would mail it to me. That never happened despite repeated attempts to get it. He looked like a solid citizen, fancy house and vehicles so I wasn't too worried it would be stolen. Also I ran the vin number and it is OK. Now the one with title and the Rancher with certificate of origin I never registered so the title is still in the name of previous owner and the CO is in name of dealer. I am thinking of selling all of them and buying a RZR. Does anyone for see any problems with this?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Depends on where you're selling them, and where the person buying them is going to ride them. Some states require them to get registration stickers, and title or CO is what may be need for proof of ownership. That would be to ride on public land in most places.

In Texas, you can get a bonded title, but it's not cheap. Averages about 300-400 dollars, and a little time consuming.

But you can also purchase them with a bill of sale here.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mamurray
I have three four wheelers, a Honda Rancher I bought new and I have the certificate of origin the dealer provided. Two Kawasaki Bayous that I bought from a man that had two boys. One he had the title for the other he couldn't find and said he would mail it to me. That never happened despite repeated attempts to get it. He looked like a solid citizen, fancy house and vehicles so I wasn't too worried it would be stolen. Also I ran the vin number and it is OK. Now the one with title and the Rancher with certificate of origin I never registered so the title is still in the name of previous owner and the CO is in name of dealer. I am thinking of selling all of them and buying a RZR. Does anyone for see any problems with this?

many states are "non-title" states like NH.
I've only had maybe a handful of titles for my atv's-
My current 09 polaris 850xp- bought it from a dealer, when I asked if it had a title they looked at me funny and said they never have titles with atv's...
even here in mass- a total anti-atv state that requires all kinds of BS will accept a bill of sale to reg an atv.