General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

atv with best 4x4 system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Who would want to engage 4wd while doing power slide corners?
4-wd keeps you from sliding when you're applying power.

It's also nice to be in 4-wd and you apply the rear brakes so the rear wheels don't lock up and slide all over.

When I put it in 4-wd I want it in 4-wd. Is that too hard to ask??

Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
It really comes down to a matter of preference.
What Moose said.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use 4wd if there is a section that may get me stuck. If I had trails where there was not possibility of ever getting stuck I would own a 2wd sport ATV and do some real fun power sliding.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

So my Honda Fourtrax 300 with full time 4x4 but open diffs is a pretty much an outdated dinosaur?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverram323
When most bikes have a diff locker on it is really hard to turn, I'm a can-am fan and the visco lock works very well when the driver knows how to drive. It starts out with 3 wheel drive and when it detects wheel speed difference (front) it locks in the fourth wheel till all are turning the same speed again.

can am 2010 Visco-Lok QE - YouTube

2nd

Can-am is my favroite also.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

how goodare the yamaha grizzly's as far as 4wd goes?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ivan.strilk
how goodare the yamaha grizzly's as far as 4wd goes?
Their system goes from 2wd to 4wd with a limited slip front end when you move the switch. You have to push another button to go into fully locked front end mode. Works as good as any other. When it all comes down to it, if it makes all four wheels turn it's going to work pretty well. Ground clearance, and depth of whatever you're going through (mud, snow, water, sand) are going to be the limiting factors after that.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by keithert
So my Honda Fourtrax 300 with full time 4x4 but open diffs is a pretty much an outdated dinosaur?
Honda does seem to be the last manufacturer to get on board with a lot of stuff like IRS,selectable 2-4wd,diff-lock and disc brakes.
Saying all that though they are some of the most reliable bikes out there.Even with a strait axle and basically a 3wd My 450 Foreman goes through just about anything that my Can-Am Max goes through.The lack of ground clearance is usually what stops it.I've got a fairly heavy 20' skiboat in the backyard and if I want to move it I use the old Honda.Tried it with the Can-Am and even in low range I figured it was too hard on the belt,so now I stick to the Honda.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

i like my older xplorer 4x4,..just push a buttun an its there,all 4 wheels!! push it again an its off!! dont see why anybody would want it any other way!!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by bigcam400
i like my older xplorer 4x4,..just push a buttun an its there,all 4 wheels!! push it again an its off!! dont see why anybody would want it any other way!!

manufacturers are trying to make it a seamless transition to all wheel traction control with minimum driver input- which is why polaris & can-am have been pushing the R&D on the visco & awd systems- they are the two best systems out there.

forget kawasaki- you have to push a button to engage the 4x4 system, then actually hold in a lever the entire time you want the front diff to stay locked up

Quick Reply: atv with best 4x4 system?