General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

toughest tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toughest tires?

hey guys, i amlooking too buy new atv tires.....just wonder what are the toughest tires you can get...and wondering are there any that are thorn proof?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you're talking about the thorns that are 1" long and much sharper than thorns on, say, a rosebush, not sure. Best to avoid them. I have ITP Mudlite XTRs. I think the sidewalls are rated as a 6 ply. Haven't had any issues with them in about 2000 hard miles here in New England. Good in the mud too.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

ahhhh yes the Hawthorn! Moose,here in missouri them thorns tend to extend a little longer than an inch. we were putting fence up at my uncles and he took a step back and put a "hawthorn" clear through his shoulder. These things are nasty. The thorns are part of a tree and grow all over it. Ive seen them as long as 12-14" long and they have other little ones growing off each other at times. anyways,i found just any 6 or 8 ply tire works best. I put a little bit of slime in all mine just in case. My tires had around 10 thorns in each tire and i had ZERO flats. here is a picture of the nasty,and dangerous thorn that kids tend to not climb. http://www.cirrusimage.com/Trees/haw...cockspur_2.jpg

Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
ahhhh yes the Hawthorn! Moose,here in missouri them thorns tend to extend a little longer than an inch. we were putting fence up at my uncles and he took a step back and put a "hawthorn" clear through his shoulder. These things are nasty. The thorns are part of a tree and grow all over it. Ive seen them as long as 12-14" long and they have other little ones growing off each other at times. anyways,i found just any 6 or 8 ply tire works best. I put a little bit of slime in all mine just in case. My tires had around 10 thorns in each tire and i had ZERO flats. here is a picture of the nasty,and dangerous thorn that kids tend to not climb. http://www.cirrusimage.com/Trees/haw...cockspur_2.jpg
The link didn't work but I've never seen anything like what you're describing. I'd run Slime in all my tires if I was riding with that kind of thorn around too. Probably would wear ballistic nylon pants just to be safe.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I Forget who makes them but there are 8 ply tires being made now.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

i couldnt see the link either we have the same thorn trees here in kansas but we call them black locust trees they are nasty if they break off in you they can cause infection we usualy just try and avoid running over them

Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

hmm wonder why its not working. i can see it, but I dont count,lol. Ive heard of that name too foolish. They arent Every where like oak trees,but occasionally find one here and there. I was going to scare some friends one time when it was dark. My plan was to climb a tree and jump out in front of them(walking),well i jumped up to grab hold of the branch...Bad idea! thorns made in to my hand and had about 10 small bleeding holes on my hand and wrist. Pitbull tire makes an 8 ply,the pitbull rocker. Really nice tire and very forgiving. They are made 20 minutes from me in St louis so i see alot out on the trails. Ive heard of a couple others 8 ply.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
hmm wonder why its not working. i can see it, but I dont count,lol. Ive heard of that name too foolish. They arent Every where like oak trees,but occasionally find one here and there. I was going to scare some friends one time when it was dark. My plan was to climb a tree and jump out in front of them(walking),well i jumped up to grab hold of the branch...Bad idea! thorns made in to my hand and had about 10 small bleeding holes on my hand and wrist. Pitbull tire makes an 8 ply,the pitbull rocker. Really nice tire and very forgiving. They are made 20 minutes from me in St louis so i see alot out on the trails. Ive heard of a couple others 8 ply.
we have tons of them around the farm where we ride mostly near creek beds an drainage ditches aparently they like the water lol im gonna have to check into those tires for the right price i might have to make a trip to st. louis

Old 02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

idk what ply thay are but i got bearclaw tires an really impressed with them! my lil 400 go where them new v-twins with stock tires wont go!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

you can order them on line foolish. no need to make the drive in. Just go online and call anyone that sells them for cheapest prices. your dealers may have them in stock. I seen them in billings montana last year at a polaris dealer. They call the rubber"magical". the growlers are nice too but are 6 ply i believe. they make truck tires too but mostly for rock crawling.

Quick Reply: toughest tires?