General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Whats a decent Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a decent Helmet?

Just got my son a ATV for xmas "Shhh Its a secret!" Im also going to have to pick up a helmet for him. I know safety should be first and shouldnt matter the cost,,lol,but I cant afford a $500+ helmet! But im sure there has to be some decent ones that will do the job for under $200?
Were going to be riding at a mix of places,some public atv parks,private land etc,some places require a helmet other times it will be worn for pure safety reasons,Id like something to meet all requirements.

I just did a quick look at rockymountainatv,,and looked at the helmets that were under $150, seen brands like EVS ,HJC,Belle and Gmax,,any of these good? I was also looking at the motorcross type helmet,,not sure if thats what we want,,but looks like it would offer a little mouth protection?

We both need helmets,No doubt about it but him more than me,as Im just a lazy trail rider who likes to keep all four wheels on the ground,,and heat is not my friend! Those motorcorss helmets looks Hot,,does any particular kind keep you cooler than others?
Well let me know what types of helmets are best to get, for keeping cool,good protection and reasonably priced,Thanks!

Im looking for local places that would carry a decent selection of helmets,so far im not seeing many. I would really like for us to try some one before buying,but I dont think that may be an option. I seen some places that tell you how to measure your head to determine what size to get,For those who have ordered helmets online before do you feel this measurement is usually correct and you get a good fitting helmet,or like shoes brands differ in size?
If there all different like im thinking,where is a good place to order online,that has good customer service and a free shipping return policy?

Old 10-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son and I both have Bilt Explorer hemets, for the money they are great helmets just the sun visors suck so I took em out. The shield is great for winter and the insides are easily removed for washing.
BILT - Explorer Adventure Helmet - Dual-Sport - Helmets - Touring - Cycle Gear

Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

What I would do is go to a few local shops and try on some helmets. They don't all use the same mold, so some will fit better and feel more comfortable than others. Ask them if they have any closeout deals. If the price still isn't to your liking, hit the internet.

All my helmets have come from closeouts. Brand new, never worn, just last year or the year before style. Saves a bunch of money. My last street helmet was under $55 shipped to my house. Retail on the helmet was $279.

RMC, Dennis Kirk, Motorcycle Superstore and others are great places to look. Most have good return policies, but it's a good idea to ask before buying. Ebay is an option as well. The return policy may not be as good, and you need to make sure it specifies you're getting a new, unused helmet.

One thing I would look for is the Snell and DOT approval. DOT is good, but it also means the helmet meets the bare minimum.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before I had a computer and internet service I used to buy a lot of stuff from the Sportsman's Guide catalog. I got one of my helmets there really cheap. It may have been a closeout. I just checked their website and they have DOT approved helmets under $100. I didn't check to see if any were Snell approved but none of mine ever have been. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...helmet&ipp=ALL

Old 11-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had good luck with HJC over the years. Pretty consistent quality at a decent price. Fox is what I have been wearing(and buying for my kids) the past few years. I personally like helmets that have passed both DOT and Snell, as they are vastly different tests. Comfort is the biggest thing though, and here I strongly suggest at least trying some out at your local store(s). Ask if you can try a pair of goggles on with the helmet too. I had a helmet once that had a weird goggle port and it just sucked wearing most brands of goggles with that thing.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one you will wear.