General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Best ATV for Wife (No Experience)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV for Wife (No Experience)

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2006 Honda TRX400EX after moving to Florida. I like riding with friends, but I would also like to share the experience with my wife. She is interested in riding, and has been looking at machines on Pinterest (of all places!), pointing out ATV's she likes.

Now obviously, what she likes (TRX450, Raptor, Can-AM), isn't what she's going to get. I've explained this to her, and she understands. I would like to find her something like a 250, with an automatic. Not something new, but something used. She's not a shifter in any form and I think having to learn how to shift would really discourage her.

What past models should I be looking for online?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by WonkyThumb
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2006 Honda TRX400EX after moving to Florida. I like riding with friends, but I would also like to share the experience with my wife. She is interested in riding, and has been looking at machines on Pinterest (of all places!), pointing out ATV's she likes.

Now obviously, what she likes (TRX450, Raptor, Can-AM), isn't what she's going to get. I've explained this to her, and she understands. I would like to find her something like a 250, with an automatic. Not something new, but something used. She's not a shifter in any form and I think having to learn how to shift would really discourage her.

Hi,
This is a great question, and I too, am a wife who was interested in experiencing the thrill of riding with my husband. I rode a little bit when I was younger, but after I met my husband, and saw how passionate he was about riding, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for us to spend quality time together, doing something that he loved. We ended up getting a used Honda 300ex with reverse,(which I desperately had to have), and that was a good machine for me. With your wife not knowing how to shift, maybe a good option would be, a used Honda TRX300 utility quad. Good luck, and happy riding!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

Hello all,

Are you wanting a 4x4 or a quad for her?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Your Question Has Been Answered By Our Editors

We've got the answer to your question published on the ATV Connection homepage to be shared with the world.

Click here for our detailed response:

Ask The Editors: Best ATV for Inexperienced Wife? - ATVConnection.com

Old 12-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all,

My wife was the same way, She wanted something "sporty, but could hang with my sportsman in the woods". After months of looking to see what she liked, and sitting on various models, she decided on the 500 Scrambler. It was perfect for her. Big enough to play with the big boys, small, nimble, and fast enough to have fun with, but not too big as to scare her. It goes everywhere she wants. She LOVES this bike, and has never regretted buying it.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default If you don't like to shift...

If your wife doesn't like to shift, maybe you should try a semiautomatic before you get a full automatic. If you want an automatic try a 500 rubicon

Old 09-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since this was about 9 months ago, I'm sure they already picked one out. If not I would recommend something like a Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4. I had one once myself. It has the benefits of bigger utility quads like shaft drive, cvt auto and push button 4x4 but is smaller and lighter to be more nimble and easier to handle. Good low and midrange power but not super fast on top end, tops out at about 50 mph. I think it would be a perfect quad for a beginner. Its a great trail quad for any level rider.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

my wife loved riding our wolverine 450. perfect all around, great suggestion