General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

First quad debate

Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First quad debate

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here and kind of new to the sport. I have ridden a couple of quads before but not much. I'm thinking of getting my first quad but I'm having trouble deciding.
I think I have narrowed it down to two different models. A new Polaris sportsman 850 sp, or a used 2010 Yamaha grizzly 700. I know each quad had their ups and downs.
I was immediately drawn the Polaris, the new one in the titanium grey is jus plain sexy. It is also very very comfortable and natural feeling. And they have some good sales goin on right now, could be out the door with a brand new one for about 9300. I test drove it, liked everything about it except the turning. (They would only let me ride them in the parking lot) I don't know if that's a big factor or not, but it felt like it took very wide turns and kind of moved like a bus. Everything else was awesome!
I rode the grizzly, and it was not as visually appealing as the Polaris or as comfortable, but it felt very nimble and natural to ride. I could get the used one for about 5k. And I have been told it wasn't ridden much. Which one would be better off road? I would be riding mostly in the woods, exploring on and off trail. Maybe a little mud but not much. I know they have their difference with 4x4 and kind of like the Polaris' setup. I hear great things about both, and I know I should probably get the used one to really learn on, but I'm really drawn to that Polaris! The color matches my jeep too if it felt better turning the bars I would say no question!
Anyways, sorry for my rant, please help me out with your expertise!
Thank you

Old 05-21-2015, 08:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All atvs suck turning on pavement unless they have a "turf mode" that unlocks the rear axle. The Grizzly should be more nimble and Yamaha fit, finish, and durability are excellent. The 850 will have power to spare and likely a little cushier ride.

From your intended use, even the smallest 4x4 will work, so either of these is easily suited for the task. Personally I am a Yamaha fan boy and would probably take the Grizzly and put that 4k extra into riding gear or tires or fuel or trail fees, etc.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks scooter. I have heard that the yamahas are bulletproof. And I do like how light and easy to manuver they are. I talk to some people and they are pro-Yamaha and others pro Polaris. Mostly people pro Yamaha. Still not sure about going the used route vs a good deal on a new one. Has anyone ridden both of these off road? Any more info on the handling?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

You will be happy with either I am sure. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Im sure I will. But these choices are driving me nuts!

Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also would like to mention, that the used grizzly I am looking at does not have power steering, but only has about 30 hours on it.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Power steering is nice, more so if you are turning bigger tires, mudding, or riding fast over rough trail. It isn't necessary though. The atv crowd got along just fine without it for the first 30+ years. It can be added aftermarket cheaper than most oem charge as well. If you are relatively handy you could add it yourself to the grizz. in the future if you wanted.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Grizzly 700 so I am too somewhat biased. Love the machine and didn't want anything else with me when I was out at Moab a few weeks ago and also when out at Taylor Park.

The biggest downside I know of on the Grizzly will be that is may be a bit "tippier" in off-camber situations. That can easily be dealt with by adding wheel spacers or by replacing the OEM wheels with wider offset wheels, pushing the wheels out further by 1" or slightly more. Even with new top of the line wheels and tires, ~$1000, you would be way ahead in terms of money spent if you went with the Grizz and new wheels/tires.

My Grizz is a 2007 with added wheel spacers and I have 0 reason to replace that machine... I like it A LOT! MY primary riding terrain is high country trail and technical riding. I also like to ride fast on trail when it is safe. The Grizz is very responsive to tight, technical sections of trail and I can easily throw it around without feeling unsafe.

My suggestion to you... see if you can rent both for a day and get some real trail riding in and then decide. I can tell you, you will not be disappointed with a Grizzly unless you want to drag race it since there are much larger quads with more HP out there. I personally couldn't care less about drag racing or mudding.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

In my area i do not see a lot of the polaris out and about on the trails if any actually. Maby a few of the 1000's but nothing smaller. The grizz is a fav up in this area and see very little issues with them.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

i have a yamaha and 2 hondas. both are very nimble. just take your time deciding on what one. most any major brands are really reliable these days. they have come a long way in 30 years and have really gotten better in the last 15 since most of the bigger ones are liquid cooled and fuel injected.

either way, enjoy and be safe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First quad debate