General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Question About Buying ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Buying ATV

I've been searching for the past couple weeks for a four wheeler, I've never owned a bike but spent a lot of time on them growing up. I've found a bike I'm interested in on Kijiji it's a 2013, and I was wondering what I should look out for (friend of mine who knows lots about bikes is going with me to check it out), how it will work switching it into my name, how getting a bank loan works for the bike considering it's a private sale, and how do I know for sure he doesn't owe anything on the bike? Thanks!

Old 05-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If a person has a bank loan (a lien) you should be able to find out about it using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The present owner would not have a title to the bike since he/she hasn't paid off the lien. It kind of depends on the make of the bike to know what's exceptable and what isn't. If you can bring a knowledgeable friend with you to look at it and possibly ride it that would help you figure things out. To switch it to your name depends on the state. Some require a title some don't. I'd be hesitant about buying a quad that doesn't have a title. If it's Chinese made avoid it like the plague.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
If a person has a bank loan (a lien) you should be able to find out about it using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The present owner would not have a title to the bike since he/she hasn't paid off the lien. It kind of depends on the make of the bike to know what's exceptable and what isn't. If you can bring a knowledgeable friend with you to look at it and possibly ride it that would help you figure things out. To switch it to your name depends on the state. Some require a title some don't. I'd be hesitant about buying a quad that doesn't have a title. If it's Chinese made avoid it like the plague.
It's a Polaris sportsman 500, with only 500 miles on it. Assuming the owners owes on it would the dealer (he bought it from) be able to switch everything over for us?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with your local dmv as to what is needed to get the machine switched to you. If you can find a dealer to do the paperwork, you are only going to be paying them to do what you should be able to do on your own.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

X2 Check with your local DMV. They can answer registration and ownership questions far better than we can.