General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

problem with dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with dealer

Just picked up my first brand new atv, been buying used till now.
KQ400asi. got it home,started setting clock etc, got to the hour meter and it read 69.1 hrs. checked the odometer, read 15 mi. is this possible? I called the dealer right away
was told "well we pull them out every day and run them a bit". did not sound right to me. talked to the GM and questioned this, and asked if first service was done with that many hrs, was told yes! he agreed the hrs seemed a bit much. i then asked if the gauge pod could be faulty, was told as i ride keep track of hrs and miles bring it in at 100mi for service dont worry you are under warranty!
None of this washes with me, is it me or do you guys think i have a problem?

Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

It may vary by dealer, but the two brand new atv's I bought were never run. One was assembled and on the floor, but it had no fluids in it, and no battery. The other was still in the crate.

Now I can see where it may have been used as a demo model. Not sure how it works with atv's, but a new car can have up to so many miles on it and still be considered new.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Trailblazer

the miles didnt bother me, the time it must have sat at idle is my concern. could it have caused a break in problem such as overheating (air oil cooled no rad)

thanks

Old 08-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If it's a quad that's been sitting for awhile I'd prefer that it gets run every so often just to keep the battery charged. I can kind of see there being 15 miles if it's been there for a year or so. Say they move it back and forth 100 feet. 200 feet a day would be 6000 feet a month or roughly, 13 miles per year. Make sure you have the warranty in writing and I think you should be okay.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer

thanks, I will get it all in writing including the 1st service they said they did,that should document the hrs. no problems with the KQ at all. runs great good power for a 400. i little bit narrower in the seat than my old vinson 500. fits me well

Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes they do get moved around and new quads do get ridden some by customers test riding them. 69 hours sounds like a lot though but its technically still a new unit until the first customer takes it home. I'm guessing it was a leftover 2014 model which might explain the high hours on a new unit.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for reply
I'll check it out as far as being a leftover 14. it was sold as a15

Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by panicmanic
thanks for reply
I'll check it out as far as being a leftover 14. it was sold as a15
I was just making a guess. New is still new. If it says 2015 then its a 2015 though now there are 2016 models available. So it could have easily been at the dealer for around a year anyway. I was just thinking that might be why it has so many hours on it. Atv warranties aren't like car warranties usually anyway. I don't think they really have a mileage/hours limit. If you have a 5 year warranty, it lasts 5 years whether you have 500 miles on the machine or 5000 miles. Unless it has an extreme amount of miles like 15000 in 5 years I don't think it really matters. The manufacturer might deem that excessive wear.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

thanks to all!
after reading all the replys, I'm gonna quit worrying about this and go enjoy my new quad! you guys put my mind at ease. I'm glad i joined this forum.

thanks again

Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 400KQ has no odometer? Before I even signed anything I would look at the odometer first thing.
69 hours works out to 700 miles on normal 10mph trail rides. With 15 miles it sure did a lot of idling or 0.3mph parking lot rides.

Did you get a deal for it being a "Demo"?

Quick Reply: problem with dealer