General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

I need help with buying a atv.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:04 AM
HYS
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with buying a atv.

Hello folks,

Little bit about my history, I only do dunes riding, I used to own raptor 700 and yfz450r, I had a blast with them, I found the raptor more comfortable. However I sold both of these quads like 2-3 years ago, and now I want to be back in the game, I'm 24 years old, my weight is 109 kg and my height is 6 feet. Am pretty fat I guess lawl. I always had back pain when riding an atv, because I always try to ride while am standing, my group kinda ride really fast so if am not speeding I wont be able to catch-up. Whoops are my nightmare, I've had many problems in my Yfz450r, it felt really small, and when am speeding, I just can't control the quad because it's small maybe, I didn't have that problem in my raptor, I truly dunno maybe am not experienced enough. I like yfz450r because it felt more sporty and it look just amazing. And of course I lose my stamina way faster when am riding the yfz. I think I was 100kg back in the day, and yes still fatty . I used to ride the yfz with handle bar risers it looked like a harley, I think I used ROX SPEED FX - PIVOTING HANDLEBAR RISERS. I don't know if it made the back pain any better, I thought if am stand closer to "stand straight" it will feel better, but I see many people riding without problems, I think it's just me, maybe I need to lose weight.

my budget is around 15k, I want a great quad that fits me and if long travel will help with whoops then am ready to do that, I want something sporty, fast and comfortable. Some people told me I need to lose weight in order to ride sport quad, what do you guys think on this matter. I was thinking of buying sport UTVs, but UTVs don't bring the same experience as ATVs.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome.

For 15k, you buy whatever sport or race quad you want 450cc and over. Throw some purpose built suspension on it, maybe a desert seat. Those suspension nerf bars from Houser are great too when standing. Or you could go vintage with a 2 stroke...

Old 08-16-2015, 12:26 PM
HYS
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Welcome.

For 15k, you buy whatever sport or race quad you want 450cc and over. Throw some purpose built suspension on it, maybe a desert seat. Those suspension nerf bars from Houser are great too when standing. Or you could go vintage with a 2 stroke...
Hey, thanks for the feedback .

I did some research and I found Raptor 700R, TRX 450R, and YFZ450R are one of the top 3, Even though I might be wrong, so for now am looking at these 3, If am planning on buying suspensions, how many inch's Do i need to look for? maybe Precision Steering Stabilizer and precision shock & vibe handle bar clamp ? help me guys give me a build for the quad and of course tell me which quad to go for?

HYS

Old 08-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the sport utility 4x4 quads are pretty darn fast now. They have independent rear suspension and have power steering as an option too. These 1000cc 4x4's are about as fast as a YFZ is, 80+ mph for something like a Can-Am Renegade 1000 or Polaris Scrambler 1000. The pic at the top of this site is a Can-Am Renegade. I know maybe you might not find one of those as exciting as say a YFZ or Raptor 700 but they're a lot more comfortable. The real difference is weight, the sport quads are a lot lighter. And they're all cvt automatics too so many don't like not being able to shift anymore.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:50 PM
HYS
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
Some of the sport utility 4x4 quads are pretty darn fast now. They have independent rear suspension and have power steering as an option too. These 1000cc 4x4's are about as fast as a YFZ is, 80+ mph for something like a Can-Am Renegade 1000 or Polaris Scrambler 1000. The pic at the top of this site is a Can-Am Renegade. I know maybe you might not find one of those as exciting as say a YFZ or Raptor 700 but they're a lot more comfortable. The real difference is weight, the sport quads are a lot lighter. And they're all cvt automatics too so many don't like not being able to shift anymore.
I see, thanks for the information, well they are indeed interesting quads, but I don't think they will fit my raiding style, and you were right when you said that they might not be as exciting but even though thanks for the input

Old 08-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by greg74
You only are dune riding, you don't want to be saddled with a 700lb behemoth, and I don't care how fast they might be. Personally I am a Yamaha guy, and the yfz450r fuel injected models are the most advanced 450 currently in production. Actually, you could just get those shocks revalved and save a bundle. 50" width rocks in the dunes. Also, the best bars will be FASST company flex bars. Love mine. Steering stabilizer, the puck styles are awesome, with Precision probably the best for quads. My brother rocks an Elka stage 5 and it makes me jealous.

The raptor and 450r are great starting points too. If you are really looking to throw 15k at it the end result should make you happy regardless of the machine.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 PM
HYS
Weekend Warrior

You only are dune riding, you don't want to be saddled with a 700lb behemoth, and I don't care how fast they might be. Personally I am a Yamaha guy, and the yfz450r fuel injected models are the most advanced 450 currently in production. Actually, you could just get those shocks revalved and save a bundle. 50" width rocks in the dunes. Also, the best bars will be FASST company flex bars. Love mine. Steering stabilizer, the puck styles are awesome, with Precision probably the best for quads. My brother rocks an Elka stage 5 and it makes me jealous.

The raptor and 450r are great starting points too. If you are really looking to throw 15k at it the end result should make you happy regardless of the machine.
Hello mate,

Thanks for the input, elka stage 5 are just amazing. If my weight and my height weren't factors then I'll be happy to get yfz 450r with elka stage 5 and all other good stuff. I think my best option will be raptor. I need advice on that matter, if my weight and height are factors then how important are they?

Old 08-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I am 5'9" and run 210 or so. My brother is a bit taller but same weight. We both have fox floats on the front, he runs a podium rear and I have a revalved stocker. Original YFZ. I love the reworked stock rear, and the new 450r models have better shocks yet. I know a good suspension shop will set them up for your weight, tire, terrain, ability. That goes for all of the machines you are looking at if you go with the more expensive Raptor or the Honda. Only you can determine if the machine fits you, and the Rappie starts out a bit better fit for bigger guys. I just am not the biggest fan of the sit on top feeling they give when I am looking to ride fast and hit the jumps. My preference, maybe not yours. Since you have seat time in both it should be an easy decision. I take it you are outside the us? It may be beneficial to find a shop in your country that does shock work and talk to them.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:12 AM
HYS
Weekend Warrior

I am 5'9" and run 210 or so. My brother is a bit taller but same weight. We both have fox floats on the front, he runs a podium rear and I have a revalved stocker. Original YFZ. I love the reworked stock rear, and the new 450r models have better shocks yet. I know a good suspension shop will set them up for your weight, tire, terrain, ability. That goes for all of the machines you are looking at if you go with the more expensive Raptor or the Honda. Only you can determine if the machine fits you, and the Rappie starts out a bit better fit for bigger guys. I just am not the biggest fan of the sit on top feeling they give when I am looking to ride fast and hit the jumps. My preference, maybe not yours. Since you have seat time in both it should be an easy decision. I take it you are outside the us? It may be beneficial to find a shop in your country that does shock work and talk to them.
Am going with 450, it's way more aggressive raiding style which I enjoy. What do you think of honda trx450 compared to yfz 450r. I've heard it's better for tall guys.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by HYS
Am going with 450, it's way more aggressive raiding style which I enjoy. What do you think of honda trx450 compared to yfz 450r. I've heard it's better for tall guys.
At my height, they both feel pretty good. Taller seat foam, handlebar risers, maybe even drop pegs if you can find them can all help dial it in for you.

Quick Reply: I need help with buying a atv.