General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Trx vs yfz

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trx vs yfz

I'm in a bit of a tight spot.. I can't choose between a yfz and a trx. Both are the same price, however the yfz has more engine mods. I mainly ride open fields and loose trails with the occasional tight trail and a badlands trip once a month. Which four wheeler would fit me more? I can link both if necessary.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is the fuel injected YFZ, I would choose that one. They both are great machines, so condition would play large into my decision, and so would any suspension mods.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
If it is the fuel injected YFZ, I would choose that one. They both are great machines, so condition would play large into my decision, and so would any suspension mods.
It's an 04. I don't think they made fuel injected yfz until 09, correct?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

04/5 have a great head and intake, they will feel the most 2 stroke like as Yamaha smoothed that hit out of the 06+motors. The original chain adjuster is poor, I purchased a swingarm, link, and shock from an 07 for the much better cam style adjuster. Otherwise they are solid machines. Still have my 05.

Likewise, honda had a softer motor and softer suspension for the 04/5 models. That is probably a better overall trail machine for most people. In 06 they gave it a new motor and stiffer suspension and those models are pretty close in trail comfort to the Yamaha.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
04/5 have a great head and intake, they will feel the most 2 stroke like as Yamaha smoothed that hit out of the 06+motors. The original chain adjuster is poor, I purchased a swingarm, link, and shock from an 07 for the much better cam style adjuster. Otherwise they are solid machines. Still have my 05.

Likewise, honda had a softer motor and softer suspension for the 04/5 models. That is probably a better overall trail machine for most people. In 06 they gave it a new motor and stiffer suspension and those models are pretty close in trail comfort to the Yamaha.
I've also found an 06 yfz. Which year would you prefer?

Side note : I've heard that a yfz sits low, therefor your knees are up high. I'm a tall guy, would this be a problem?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

You need to at least sit on them and try them out. Fit is personal, but you can put bar risers on, add seat foam, tons of stuff.

All things being equal, I would probably go for an 06. Buying used, condition is way more important than year.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If I by used I like stock. If the guy moded his engine its most likely he was a aggressive rider. Same goes for 4x4, I walk from the ones that are moded with snorkels and oversized tires, over one that's used by some guy who goes on a hunting trip a few time and its all stock.

All 450s no matter which brand are in the same power class and have plenty of power even stock. They are a stressed 450 motocross motors as it is so why buy one that is stress out even more unless you race on the track on weekends.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
If I by used I like stock. If the guy moded his engine its most likely he was a aggressive rider. Same goes for 4x4, I walk from the ones that are moded with snorkels and oversized tires, over one that's used by some guy who goes on a hunting trip a few time and its all stock.

All 450s no matter which brand are in the same power class and have plenty of power even stock. They are a stressed 450 motocross motors as it is so why buy one that is stress out even more unless you race on the track on weekends.
I'm going to look at an 06 SE 50th anniversary edition tomorrow. Much better choice for me than the 04 with the engine mods.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by TLC

Meh, my brother and I both run 13:1 pistons, actually helps out in the slower stuff because compression gives you power across the Rev range. Head work, cams, whatever. If they are built right performance mods aren't going to do much harm to longevity on the 450 class. That really goes for all the Japanese 450s. Honda's hrc hop up kit is another great example of adding good reliable power. The great thing about the original yfz is they have just about the best cam profile stock. Unless you are drag racing cams are just a waste of money. Suspension is where the speed is at on these anyway. When you get ready to spend a little more, stock parts revalved and sprung for your weight and riding style will blow you away.