General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Looking for used ATV/UTV

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for used ATV/UTV

We recently purchased an 8 acre property in N/Central FL. I am looking for an ATV / UTV or possible even just a golf cart for general property maintenance etc. I don most of my own maintenance, so i want to get something that is relatively easy to work on with parts availability etc.

My property is relatively flat and dry, but I have a lot of trees and shrubbery to work around.

4x4 vs 2x4? Not sure if I really need 4wd? Is it more trouble than its worth for my needs? property is flat/dry, but lots of trees/branches And might want to pull a log or two off to the burn pile.

What size motor should I be looking for?

Winch? Seems like a good idea?

I also want to be able to pull smaller trailers around. I have an alum kayak trailer that I want to be able to pull down to the water with a passenger, and another small Harbor Freight trailer to pull around tools, wood, branches etc.

I really Like the looks of the UTV two seaters with the truck beds, but they seem very pricy. Even for used ones. So I am thinking I will probably find a better deal on used ATV. ??

Looking at around the $2,500 price point, but would sure like to spend less if possible.

I will be reading up on the forum. Just looking for input on best all around platform for my needs.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will be hard to find a side by side for $2500. I have seen some Yamaha Rhinos for around $4000 like this one 2008 Yamaha Rhino That would be an excellent choice for a work machine that still has enough sport in it in case you want to have some fun when the work is done. I know a lot of people say they only want an atv or utv for work but why not use it for some trail riding too while you have it? You might be able to find an older Kawasaki Mule for a little less. They're much slower but are great workhorses. Farmers and ranchers love them. Something like this might get the job done and its within your price range Kawasaki 500 mule 2 wheel drive though it is 2wd. You can probably add a winch and still be able to get yourself out if you get into a tough spot. The winch can be used as a tool as well to pull logs or whatever else you need to pull. The 4wd mules are just about as expensive as the Rhino. An older Polaris Ranger would be another good choice but still about $4000 is about the low end on any of them as well. Here's the least expensive one I found locally 2001 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 $3800 is about rock bottom for a used Ranger. You can find quads for less obviously but I assume you really want something with 2 seats and a bed. Maybe even an older compact 4wd truck might work but it might not fit in some places you might want to go. Something like this http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/5219693562.html or this that might need a little work but you can get really cheap http://semo.craigslist.org/cto/5220859540.html. You can probably find something similar near you. Here's one in a little better shape http://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/5219836538.html. A regular cab s-10 4x4 isn't really much bigger than something like a Yamaha Rhino.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

i also live in central fl and use an atv to perform tasks on 7 acers, pulling trailer, logs,etc. in your price range, an atv is the way to go unless you want passengers along. IMHO 400 class, air cooled, single rear axle is the way to go. my property is sand scrub, live and water oak. winch not critical here. 4WD and low gear range is a must for a work atv. when the work day is done, it's still a lot of fun!

Old 09-14-2015, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. I have thought about a small truck. S-10/Ranger. We have not totally ruled this out, but think I would prefer an ATV/UTV.

I know I probably won't find a side-by-side for $2,500. I did see one for $1k that needed a new rear diff. If I can find the parts, that might be a good option, since I am pretty good at mechanical stuff. Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word It's already sold, so obviously it was a good deal!Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word

As far as a passenger, I want to be able to pull our kayak trailer down to the water (1/8 mile or so) with my wife as a passenger. I have seen several ATVs with an add-on rear seat. It seems like short rides would be fine without that.

It seems like several good deals on Honda Rancher 350 in 2wd for $2,000 range. Seems like the 4wd version seem to go for >$2500.

Is the 4wd really that helpfull? Will a 350 be strong enough for my needs?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4x4 will get you through some tough spots that a 4x2 won't, like mud. It also works really well if you tow or drag something heavy. If I put mine in 4x4 low I can tow trees about the size of telephone poles. It will lose traction before it loses power but with 4x4 you have double the traction in the first place. I can't say if a 350 is big enough for you but my personal preference is for at least a 400 and almost every quad I've owned has been a 500. If you plan on trail riding for fun when you're done working you may appreciate the smooth ride of IRS.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I like the idea of a >400cc with Full Independant suspension..

I think it was 'panicmanic' that recommended air cooled w a solid axle. I guess maybe this helps with being low maintenance? Or is the solid axle better for towing?

I am still trying to figure out which models have what features.

I absolutely HATE drum brakes on cars. So some of these models with drum brakes make me a little wary.

I saw one Honda Rancher 400 4x4 that looked pretty good at around the $3000 price range. That just makes be start looking closer at the $3,500+ options and shoot there is even a dealer locally selling brand new Honda 400 2wd version for $4k. So its kind of hard to know where to draw the line..

Best bang for the buck that will get the job done!! I have too many hobbies already. so I doubt trail riding for fun will be too much of a draw. I just want something to work around the property and get my kayak trailer down to the water without breaking the bank.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Moto Psycho

If you're hauling with way more tongue weight than recommended an SRA wouldn't squat like an IRS. But if you stick with the recommended tongue weight it doesn't matter and the Polaris is rated higher at towing than the Honda. I believe it's about 50% more but I haven't checked the numbers lately. You can't put all the weight on the tongue just like you wouldn't with a car or truck pulling a trailer. You should check out Yamaha too. The reliability is supposed to be right up there with Honda.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I think panic manic has it hit right on. You could go for a irs model too, but for a small, mostly flat property it isn't a huge deal. IRS is great for comfort on extended rides, doesnt sound like that is in the plans thouth. 4x4 will be a big help if you want to drag logs, otherwise with your intended usage you will probably never need it. I think you would be fine with a 2x4 and just chunk those puppies up a little smaller. Personally, I would look for 400cc as a minimum though.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Going to look at an 06 Polaris Sportsman 500 today. From the pic, it looks to have 370 hrs on it. Anything specific to look at or check out?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

General check list information for buying used quads: Do used quads = A Money Pit? - Tips for buying a used atv....post #27

Quick Reply: Looking for used ATV/UTV