General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

thumb extender for ATV

Old 02-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thumb extender for ATV

I have a rider that does not have a thumb on her right hand. Makes it difficult to use the thumb throttle. We put an extender on for her but she still gets fatigue in her hand. What I would like to do is make a longer extension and maybe make it wider so she can use the bottom of her palm and still be able to hold on and throttle. Any ideas out there?

Old 02-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

They have controls like this,but can get an inexperienced rider in trouble if they're not careful.
Plus I've heard of atvs using a pwc type lever conversion that moves the lever forward and you can use a couple fingers. Haven't found an example yet.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Can always convert to a twist grip throttle if needed, similar to a motorcycle.
Will take some getting used to, but should not be a problem once you get the hang of it.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Twist grip throttle was what I thought would be a solution.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you can get the twist conversion at some of the dealers for a fairly good price. My little one uses her palm on her machine when her thumb gets tired. I noticed that she does not have very good throttle control on the bumps doing it that way. Something to think about.
you could also switch to a snowmobile type throttle that flips it to the front of the bars.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

When I rode ATV's my thumb would get sore as well, everyone I know has that same issue. The twist grip adaptor shown in the video looks rather promising, however I never thought about the snowmobile throttle. When I rode snowmobiles I rarely had a sore hand issue, probably because they were to cold to feel it LOL....however that does sound like it might be another solution to the sore thumb issue. To bad there is not some way to modify the existing lever to turn it around to be finger operated??? Time to put the thinking cap on!!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
you can get the twist conversion at some of the dealers for a fairly good price. My little one uses her palm on her machine when her thumb gets tired. I noticed that she does not have very good throttle control on the bumps doing it that way. Something to think about.
you could also switch to a snowmobile type throttle that flips it to the front of the bars.
Forgot about that. That way the throttle is more of a trigger. A lot less tiring too. Only drawback is going up a steep hill, holding on for dear life, it's harder to get off the throttle.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by moosehenden
forgot about that. That way the throttle is more of a trigger. A lot less tiring too. Only drawback is going up a steep hill, holding on for dear life, it's harder to get off the throttle.

good point!!

Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

The handy throttle looks like it might work. We will look into that. I believe we have looked into the snow mobile throttle but the way she has to hold on it would cause issues. She throttles with her index finger. Holds onto the grip with her three other fingers. So stretching that index finger out causes her to get sore faster then a person with a thumb would get.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Another thing later on is buying a automatic and changing the throttle to the left hand side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thumb extender for ATV