General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2001 Polaris Expedition 425 odd electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris Expedition 425 odd electrical problem.

My ATV has an odd electrical problem.

at first it seems no electrical parts work at all.

none of the following work:

neutral light, reverse light, AWD switch, AWD function, reverse button actuator, lights, electric starter, etc. (so most things)

I would make a guess that the battery cable was loose. I checked, and everything is good.

I used the winch (directly wired to battery) and it worked perfect. (so the battery is charged)

I figured it wouldn't start, and the ground cable or something was totally disconnected or something.

I turned the ignition to the on position, and used the pull start, and it fired right up.

Also, it seemed like the problem happened fairly abruptly. Over the course of a few times trying to start it electrically, it failed, then worked, now doesn't work at all.

I am unsure what the problem is at this point and any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

More than likely the main circuit breaker finally bit the dust.It provides electrical power to the dash,ignition,lights,starter,left control switch. They're designed to kick off if there's a problem and kick back on. It's in a sealed pouch up from the battery,usually tucked under the fender area on the frame. Check that it has voltage on each side of the red wire. If it doesn't slice the pouch open and check connections. Even being sealed up they can corrode from moisture and heat and short out.Cheap to replace at any auto store.Install the new 20 amp breaker and squeeze a little silicone in the pouch and tape it up. Here's a new one compared to a couple that are trash.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Polaris Expedition 425 odd electrical problem.-1000936wj9.jpg  
Old 05-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a look at the breaker and it looks shiny and new. I also tested the voltage and both sides were flowing electricity.

Im not sure where to go from here.

One of my first thoughts was that possibly the ignition unit was broken, and therefor it couldn't register the key being in the on position (no lights, neutral light, awd, etc.)

but when I figured out the ignition unit works when I pull start it, that idea was shot down.

Any ideas for where to go from here?

Old 05-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Then the next step if the circuit breaker has power in and out is to check the connections at the left control switch. Pull the connectors,spray with electrical cleaner and use some dielectric grease. Same for the cracks and crannies in the switch,then move the on/off emergency kill switch back and forth. Corrosion on the brass contacts over the years can cause problems with this switch. If need be just replace it as it can cut the power from the dash,lights,ignition,starter,etc same as the circuit breaker can. Plus might seem to be a silly question,but you sure the on/off kill switch is in the on position? A lot of people over look this when they have problems.2001 2002 Polaris Xpedition 325 425 Handlebar Headlight Switch Hi Lo Mode | eBay