General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2001 Bigbear 400 water logged

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2001 Bigbear 400 water logged

Hi everybody i need some suggestions i was out riding my atv couple of weeks ago and was walking it across the water but i hit a hidden stump and it took a nose dive and sucked in a bunch of water when i unscrewed the dipstick the crank case was full of water i tipped it over and emptied out everything i could and when i got home i put clean oil in it and tried turning it over so the crankcase had some type of lubrication in it what else should i do to it ive heard pouring diesel fuel in the crankcase pulling the spark plug wire and turn it over to it till it almost kills the battery drain and repeat till all the water is gone? I'm going to take the carb off and clean it also I'm going to replace the spark plug any other suggestions?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have to do it several times. Did this to a Honda Recon years ago. Had to change the oil like 5-6 times. It still ended up needing rebuilt. The Recon doesn't even have an oil filter so it was just adding cheap oil and draining it and then repeating.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Im really hoping that you had a container to dump the contaminated oil in and not all over the ground. While diesel and using the starter will help you are not fully going to get rid of the oil until you drive it. Go buy the cheapest walmart oil you can find that is compatible. Fill and drive for a few min and dump, repeat process until no signs of water going for longer drives each time.

Don't forget to check your diffs

Old 07-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you pull the spark plug and not just the wire...

Old 07-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol

When crossing water slow and steady saves the day. 90% of the time if you go slow and keep the wave out in front of you you will be fine. As long as the water hole is not really long or your machine will suck up all the air trapped under it. Had similar issue a few weeks back on a river crossing. Started across and the current caught me and spun me around taking me down river. Only thing sticking up was my bars but i just kept the throttle steady and aimed for the shore and ended up climbing out. Just remember try not to panic, keep forward momentum, and keep that wave going.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to ride in water a lot more than I do now. I pretty much avoid it whenever I can now unless I know how deep it really is. Just recently a creek on a local trail finally got low enough to cross. It still took all the traction the Brute had to climb the bank though as it was pretty washed out. I could feel the tires clawing and struggling. There's another creek crossing on another trail that is almost impassible. The bank on one side is so eroded and washed out that its very difficult to climb it without flipping your quad. You can't get a good run at it as the creek is a bit muddy at the bottom and also deep enough that you have to use the slow and steady method Zrock mentioned. When I try to punch it up the bank, the tires just dig in and tear it up more instead of clawing their way up it. It might be even worse if you were going the other direction. I could see the front end taking a nosedive and flipping over forward. I simply ride up to the creek anymore and turn around and take a different trail instead that takes you out to a gravel road with a bridge.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol

That river that took me for a swim was one of those.. going in u needed spotters to keep you from flipping forward. I was the one that did it without and one wrong move toast. So either way I was committed to that crossing..lol

Old 07-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Only thing I didn't see mentioned is that if you suck water in, take the spark plug out and turn the engine over first to blow out any water that got sucked into the air box. If you run the engine with water in the cylinder you can easily destroy it. Water doesn't compress.... Hope it all works out.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1... look 4 posts up Moose

Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex G.
+1... look 4 posts up Moose
I claim temporary haziness because of the heat..... No, I saw it, but I think it should be the first thing you do after getting the water out of the airbox. Sounds like the OP got lucky but I was hoping others might go your suggestion as the A1, numero uno, thing to do after getting to dry land. I'd hate to see someone hydrolock their engine.