General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

04 sportsman 500 electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 500 electrical issues

I have an 04 sportsman 500 that worked perfect. It sat outside for 2 months (during summer with some rain) and when i went to ride, it seemed like the battery was dead. i jumped it and it started and was able to be ridden, but had reduced power to electrical items such as lights and winch. After that ride it was again dead when I tried to start it. Once more it started with a jump start. I tried charging the battery but could not get it to charge. Very minimal power when the key was on and then nothing. So I bought a new battery today and turned the key. Lights came on indicating power immediately. Hit the start button and it made a rattling noise but wouldn't turn over a few times, which got less and less then no power. I hear a clicking noise within the wheeler its self. Occasionally the power light will come on momentarily but then nothing. now nothing happens when I try and start. Hooked it up to jump start and cables sparked, smoked and became red hot. Noticed also that the fuse encased in black rubber also very warm. I have ready several things such as ECM, PDM, solenoid, or fuse connector. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check that the circuit breaker in the sealed pouch has power on each side of the red wire. If it doesn't,split the pouch open and replace it. Any auto supply has them. Recall on ecms on the 2004 models also.Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov IF you still have the "Black " Chinese ecm,it can be replaced free of charge.If it's already been replaced the US made replacements can go out also.. Common problem on these.2004 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 500 Scrambler Surepower ECM PDM 2203348 | eBay The ecm has many functions from controlling charging to the battery,fan operation,plus several circuit breakers itself inside.It can also cut power to the controls,lights,etc if it faults.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get this recall done ATV:Spam word Polaris Ind. expands recall of ATVs it's a safety government recall with no time limit I think.
When the ECM has a brain fart all things go weird.