General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV Winch's

Old 08-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Winch's

I want some info from you guys. I need a winch for my machine and don't know where to start. I am getting old now and not to good shape but not dead yet. I got a Polaris Sportsman 400 HO a few years ago and have a close call with it almost getting it stuck and would have had to walk up hill a long ways. Too old for that. Just had a new knee installed so it is time to get a winch installed also.

Should I get a big expensive warn or the like or would a good under 200 buck winch work good enough. Was looking at the Tusk winches in the 2500 lb range or should I be looking at the bigger 3500 lb model? I never weigh down it unless I have deer in it. Then it may be a little heavier.

Help please. Then should I get the heavier front springs to make up for the extra weight on the front of the machine? Let me know if I haven't though of something.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Here's a bargain that won't break the bank. Superwinch LT2500 ATV Winch : Cabela's
Superwinch is a very good brand. Used to make the Cabela's branded winches. Couple friends had them and they were very good. A 2500 lb. winch should be good for that machine. Add in a ****** block pulley and tree strap and you can effectively double your winches power by running the cable and hook from the quad to a tree and back. I have one like this: New 10 000 lb 10000lb ATV Pulley Block Winch ****** Block | eBay I've used it quite a few times to move trees off the trails and to extract myself from waist deep snow.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2,500 pounds is a good weight for a winch. I wouldn't go any smaller. Heavy duty front springs are nice but not necessary. I had them on one of my older quads but not on the one I have now.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a 2500lb KFI winch but use it primarily for operating the snow plow.
However it is there if I would need it. As mentioned get a ****** block and some extra straps/rope to double your pulling power should the need arise. I am guessing your machine does not have a diff lock on it so the winch becomes more important. With good knarly tires and diff lock I am not worried about getting stuck much, I have been thru some stuff that others won't go thru but I don't push my luck. I won't go thru an area I don't think I could get thru. I also carry a long cable with hooks on both ends so I don't have to use my winch to pull others out, to hard on the winch and my machine will pull more. Just some thoughts and ideas for you...good riding!

Old 08-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Polaris Sportsman is full 4wd once you flick the switch into AWD. Once it senses any difference in speed between the front and back tires it kicks in with all tires spinning. Personally, it is/was my favorite system. It works faster than I could switch a diff lock button on some of the other makers' machines. Clawed through everything all the other quads got through. Liked it a lot. It's the most seamless system I've encountered. Newer Can-Am with the quick engagement feature is pretty close but not quite as fast to engage as the Polaris' system. It's pulled me through everything but waist deep snow so far.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In 19 years of riding Polaris 4x4s I've never felt the 4x4 engage or disengage. It's totally seamless and there's no 4x3 (unless something is broken). It's either 4x2 or locked in 4x4. Here's a video that another member made to show how fast it engages.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Here's a bargain that won't break the bank. Superwinch LT2500 ATV Winch : Cabela's
Superwinch is a very good brand. Used to make the Cabela's branded winches. Couple friends had them and they were very good. A 2500 lb. winch should be good for that machine. Add in a ****** block pulley and tree strap and you can effectively double your winches power by running the cable and hook from the quad to a tree and back. I have one like this: New 10 000 lb 10000lb ATV Pulley Block Winch ****** Block | eBay I've used it quite a few times to move trees off the trails and to extract myself from waist deep snow.

That is very interesting as everything I have ever read on the Polaris drive system claims it to be a sort of 3 wheel drive system. However as an owner you should know best. In many articles it has been stated that diff lock was superior...hmm..perhaps just pushing another brand? Just another case of you can't believe everything you read

Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Polaris Sportsman is full 4wd once you flick the switch into AWD. Once it senses any difference in speed between the front and back tires it kicks in with all tires spinning. Personally, it is/was my favorite system. It works faster than I could switch a diff lock button on some of the other makers' machines. Clawed through everything all the other quads got through. Liked it a lot. It's the most seamless system I've encountered. Newer Can-Am with the quick engagement feature is pretty close but not quite as fast to engage as the Polaris' system. It's pulled me through everything but waist deep snow so far.

Very interesting, it seems the articles that have been written claim diff lock is superior as the Polaris system was a form of 3 wheel drive. Just can't believe everything you read as proof comes from actual owners. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

While a 2500lb is a good size if you can afford the extra for the 3500lb then get that one. Being a little bigger the winch will not have to work as hard.. If you get into a good stuck you will appreciate the extra pulling power. The winch you mention seems to have good reviews. If it does not already have it get synth rope on it. Even with safe winching practice a cable can still be very dangerous

Old 08-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Very interesting, it seems the articles that have been written claim diff lock is superior as the Polaris system was a form of 3 wheel drive. Just can't believe everything you read as proof comes from actual owners. Thanks for the clarification.
I think the Can-Am system would be better if if were simply limited slip 4x4 like Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki and then you simply push another putton or switch and then it instantly becomes diff-lock instead of being a progressive locker. The Polaris system works well I guess. It is true diff-lock 4x4 so when its engaged, you have all 4 wheels pulling with full force. I'm sure there could be extreme conditions where it could get confused and not engage quickly enough or disengage when you don't want but those are rare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATV Winch's