General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Why Not Allow ATV On Secondary Roads?

Old 12-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dutch business partner says it is legal to ride ATV's on the highway over there. Also if you see some of the silly micro cars they drive in EU, ATV's are very sane. I should add, in Maine, you can go 500 yards/meters on the highway to get on a trail. Almost everyday, I travel about that far to get on a trail from my driveway. Perfect chance to blow any carbon free.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can we encourage the manufacturers to offer an "on highway option" that would upfit the ATV with all the federal highway equipment like motorcycles have? I'll bet manufacturers have discussed the possibility of on highway ATVs with the powers to be in the past. I bet sales of ATVs would be significantly greater if there was an on highway license option for buyers.

Not all "dirt bikes" are eligible for on highway licenses, and many riders don't need or want on highway equipment. But many manufacturers offer an on highway version of a dirt bike for those that would like to do both with the same bike. The "adventure bike" category is another good example. Couldn't ATVs be the same way?

My potential ATV purchase would be more attractive to me if I could operate the thing on public roads. I could take a leisurely ride on a nice afternoon around the neighborhood. My helmet on, my headlight on, I would signal turns, and the brake light would work. My "motorcycle" license plate displayed on the back, and I would have my ATV approved driver's license in my wallet. I would certainly wave to the deputy sheriff as she drove by as I always do. It's no different than a on highway dirt bike.

I may have to have a set of on highway wheels / tires and then put on the "mudders" when we want to go on a serious trail ride. Many folks do this with winter snow tires on their cars. It's not a big deal.

David

Old 12-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As myself and others have said earlier, the image of atvs in many areas is not a good one. The owners are perceived as irresponsible and reckless. In reality that is a very small percentage of actual owners but it only takes one to ruin it for everyone. You would have kids hopping on their parent's machines and riding them everywhere, not paying attention to anything as many times kids do. They would ignore stop signs, ride through and on private property at speeds well beyond what is considered to be safe. Doing donuts in the middle of the road, wheelies etc. You just can't get everyone to behave is basically what I'm trying to say. Too many kids and adults alike just don't know how to behave like adults. And you will have a lot of people who just oppose the idea no matter what, many of them with strong political pull. It only takes a few of them to destroy the idea before it even gets started.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Back Country Explorer

Hi greg74. Thanks for your feedback. What behavior you described fit my teenage years exactly! I admit I was a reckless teenage driver. I wore out a set of rear tires on Dad's car "burning rubber". I had a "Silver Pigeon" scooter in high school. It even had a CVT type transmission. Top speed was about 40 mph. I'm lucky I survived the two years I owned it. My local police had a conversation with my parents. I'm grounded! It takes a village! We call the teenage years an unfortunate period in life where the hormone to brain ratio is all out of wack.

One of the scariest thing I did while raising my sons was give them the key to the family car. I even sold my little sports car during those years so it wouldn't be a family issue. I am fortunate my sons made it through those years to full adult maturity.

BUT those bad behavior observations can happen with idiots in cars, on motorcycles, or anything else. I roughly equate an on highway dirt bike to an ATV. Modern ATVs have drivetrains that can accelerate, cruise, and stop with most local traffic. I've watched Youtube videos of folks driving their ATV on local highways at high rates of speed.

Wow, wouldn't it be great if we could use our machines for more than just snow plowing, farm chores and off road trail riding!

Those of you that have been in Moab, UT, with your ATV know the whole town is ATV friendly. There are machines parks in front of restaurants, driving down main street and driving off for a day of trail riding. All the while inter-mingling with normal traffic.

I think some ATV clubs are educating government officials about modern ATVs. The more we can get the word out, the better the chance for a change.

David

Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216

But wow, wouldn't our ATV machines be so much more enjoyable if we could drive them to the neighbor's house and plow their driveway, or help gather firewood, or spray for thistles, or run to the convenience store for fuel and a jug of milk. And a leisurely ride into the country with ATV buddies on Saturday afternoon would be fun, just like we do on our motorcycles. All the time following all traffic laws and respecting all property rights.

Gee, Colorado legalized recreational marijuana a few years ago. It has not been the catastrophe that some folks predicted. Now more states are doing the same thing. Besides, it is a great revenue generator for the state. ATV license fees would add to state revenue too. But only an idiot would operate their ATV under the influence.

David
I plow the ends of my neighbors driveways when I have the time. Never been bothered by anyone, yet. I wouldn't even waste my time here in Mass. trying to get laws changed. They think they are doing us a favor when registered riders have all of two State Parks to ride in. 18 miles is the most trail miles in the larger one. I can go up to So. Maine and ride all day, ride to gas stations, and restaurants, and put on 100+ miles. That's why ME gets my registration dollars.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the end, its just not going to be easy to change the mindset of the area where you live if they have already decided that atvs are not allowed. They're quite a liability in an accident too. They were never meant to be driven on road in the first place. They don't handle high speeds on pavement well, even if you put more street specific tires on them. I've accepted the fact that I simply have to haul mine the 7 miles or so to my local riding aread instead of being able to ride there.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

David,

There are some CO towns that have become "ATV friendly" within the town/city limits of their jurisdiction. However, those towns are few and far between right now as this is something that just happened. There will probably be more towns moving in this direction as well but most of that is well west of the Front Range area.

But, be careful for what you wish for as it is well rumored that CO is also moving towards an ATV/SxS/UTV yearly registration fee similar to car registration here. The yearly car registration in CO is NOT cheap so I have concerns about how they may try and stick it to us.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Back Country Explorer

I understand what you're saying greg74. I fully understand the quad ATV designers did not design them for on highway use. I have seen some videos on youtube of folks riding on the highway at a good speed. I saw braking and steering around obstacles. The ATV looked quite stable to me.

I'll learn more about ATVs in the coming months when I get one in my garage.

Silverton in southern Colorado is an ATV vacation destination. Maybe you have been there. The "alpine loop" and the small old mining roads in the area are open to all vehicles including OHVs. Silverton has "designated ATV routes" through town so you can drive from the campgrounds to the roads and restaurants. It's like a Colorado Moab.

My point is there are localities where cars, bikes and ATVs co-mingle and get along fine. Why not my neighborhood?

David

Silverton, Colorado Chamber of Commerce

Old 12-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
As myself and others have said earlier, the image of atvs in many areas is not a good one. The owners are perceived as irresponsible and reckless. In reality that is a very small percentage of actual owners but it only takes one to ruin it for everyone. You would have kids hopping on their parent's machines and riding them everywhere, not paying attention to anything as many times kids do. They would ignore stop signs, ride through and on private property at speeds well beyond what is considered to be safe. Doing donuts in the middle of the road, wheelies etc. You just can't get everyone to behave is basically what I'm trying to say. Too many kids and adults alike just don't know how to behave like adults. And you will have a lot of people who just oppose the idea no matter what, many of them with strong political pull. It only takes a few of them to destroy the idea before it even gets started.
This is exactly the reason why riding on the road here will never be legal. It's easier to ban it than deal with the irresponsible parents who use their ATV as a babysitter. I wish I could drive the secondary roads on my ATV, but I also certainly understand why it's not allowed here. No cop in their right mind would chase down an ATV rider. These machines on pavement at high speeds are a disaster waiting to happen for an inexperienced rider. So they break the rules and go on their merry way. If a cop does decide to flash the lights, and the rider has an escape route, said rider will just turn off into the woods and continue freely on their merry way. I fully understand why the law is like it is, and fully wish it wasn't so. It's the few bad apples that spoil the lot.

Now, that being said, I have to ride about half a kilometer to reach the trails, and the police have never bothered me. I ride slow, follow the rules, stop at stop signs, and indicate my turning direction. And if everyone here rode that way, I'm sure there would be little issue. But every day when I drive home from work I see ATV riders who I'd like to smack the face off. Breaking every rule, and just ruining it for the rest of us. It won't change.

GC

Old 12-14-2016, 07:48 PM
Back Country Explorer

I was down in the city today driving on those freeways. I got held up for about 20 minutes behind a rear end collision. Cell phone driver I thought. Later, I saw a young guy zooming around traffic, even going on the shoulder to get around. Reckless driving. Maybe his wife was in labor? But I doubt it.

However, I saw 99% of drivers following the rules, being courteous, and driving safely. No problems.

Every summer I see motorcycle and bicycle riders coming around the curve in front of my place speeding, maybe 15 over the posted limit of 30 mph. I hope I don't pull out in front of one some day. They are presumably all trained, licensed, and operating a on highway vehicle. I would drive my ATV according to the traffic laws. I believe all of us would.

Do ATV drivers have that bad of a reputation? When I start trail riding here in Colorado I hope I find courteous drivers acting responsibility. I expect I will.

David

Search this Thread