General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Why Not Allow ATV On Secondary Roads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedomflyer
David just saw this, yes we are not only spoiled with incredible views but we can ride pretty much any road we want (excluding the interstate) if we want to ruin our trail tires. All we need is headlights, horn, one mirror, tail light, brake light and lighted license plate holder (and license plate proving state registration) In fact I've seen guys riding atvs in some of our cities that I wouldn't have the guts to ride in. Granted we don't have any huge cities here in Montana but Billings is around 110,000 and when I've been there I've seen multiple ATV's running around, Missoula 80,000 people or so ATV's on the streets, Bozeman 50,000 All over the place. I wouldn't do it as there of course is no protection from getting run over but people do it here and it's legal. I know West Yellowstone just outside the park allows Snow Mobiles to run around when there's snow on the streets, people use them like cars there, to go to work, the grocery store, bars etc. If a motorcycle can be on the streets so should four wheelers, just sayin'!
The first few times I legally rode on roads in NH, and ME it kind of freaked me out. Having a big pickup behind you at a light can be a bit intimidating. Some towns in Maine now let you ride pretty much all of the roads within town instead of specific roads used as connectors. Jackman, ME comes to mind.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Moose: You might be able to out accelerate that big pickup when the light turns green. However, you might back off at 40 mph where the pickup would keep coming. A small vehicle in big vehicle traffic can be intimidating. My old Lotus Europa of years ago was 40" high and weighed 1700 lbs. It had a fiberglass body. I did feel like I could get squished at any moment. Same thing in my Bugeye Sprite. And samething riding my old Honda 450CL. I guy gets used to it. It certainly sharpens your defensive driving skills.

David