General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

What to get?

Old 12-17-2016, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get?

I'm looking for a newer big bore 4x4, and I'm not sure what to get. I was think scrambler, renegade, outlander, and sportsman. I do a bit of everything jump, mud, trail, and sometimes a little work around the house. And with this new wheeler what kind of aftermarket should I get? Snorkels, rad relocate, leds, bumpers? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Why not go with the outlander xmr its already built to play hard with no need to have snorkels on it. If your bars are under water then your in trouble lol.. Personally i will not recommend any Polaris as i see far to many of them coming back from a trail ride broke.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
Why not go with the outlander xmr its already built to play hard with no need to have snorkels on it. If your bars are under water then your in trouble lol.. Personally i will not recommend any Polaris as i see far to many of them coming back from a trail ride broke.
Ok, but those are usually 10k plus, also if I get something with those huge treaded tires how much can I still do with it?

Old 12-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Ya they are a little pricy. but by the time you look at all your add on parts u would want you will find its not that much different. can am 570 = everybody else's 700 and 800 machines. I have a buddy with the 1000 and the tires work well for him in everything. you could always sell off the tires and get enough money for the tire of your choice.
I ride a cat and if I would have shopped around I would have gotten a can am. not to mention their warranty is better

Old 12-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
Ya they are a little pricy. but by the time you look at all your add on parts u would want you will find its not that much different. can am 570 = everybody else's 700 and 800 machines. I have a buddy with the 1000 and the tires work well for him in everything. you could always sell off the tires and get enough money for the tire of your choice.
I ride a cat and if I would have shopped around I would have gotten a can am. not to mention their warranty is better
Alright thanks for the advice, I think this summer I'm gonna be shopping around for a can am.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:51 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi grant 50 and welcome. I'm new to the ATV hobby too and like you, I wanted advice on the first one. I don't have experience to fall back on.

You are wise to first articulate your uses for an ATV quad. You described a sporty ATV as opposed to a working ATV.

The class of machines here include the Polaris Scrambler, Can Am Renegade, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and the like. You want a lighter machine with good suspension and less "racks" and load carrying ability. These machines have the same "chassis" as the working / trail machines but have sporty bodywork, better suspensions and tires and the like. But maybe not the full "sport" and racing machines that are generally 2 wheel drive. It will take several thousand to get a good one.

Used sporty ATVs ought to be thoroughly inspected as many of these machines receive hard use just like you intend to do. Judging from these forums, you can expect repairs to your ATV. Maybe you like mechanics, it would help if you did.

It ain't a cheap hobby. Gardening is cheaper says my wife.

David

Old 12-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Have you looked at machines like the RZR, Wildcat or Maverick? I've ridden in my friend's RZR 1000 and it's wicked fast. I think used RZR900's are priced in your range, maybe even a new Wildcat Trail or even a Polaris ACE. Just throwing that out there. At least they offer some measure of protection. not for me, but might be up your alley..

Old 12-18-2016, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

My uncle has 2 RZR 1000s. A 2015 highlifter and 1000s and they're frickin fast. I've thought about the ace but I just don't know, I'm 15 and haven't really thought about a big side by side. I mean they're fun but it seems you can't have much fun in the backyard.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by Grant_5oh
Alright thanks for the advice, I think this summer I'm gonna be shopping around for a can am.
No problem.. While i love my arctic cat and its never let me down. The more i ride with the can ams the more i like them. Was just playing on the can am site and you can pretty much take any model and add the can am accessories to it like the rad relocate, snorkel, fox shocks, etc. You can customize it to your liking. I will definitely be going can am next time around and adding a few of those factory add ons.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you don't anticipate mud or water over the front rack you don't really need a dedicated mud machine. They are great machines but with taller tires and about the same width as the regular quads your center of gravity is higher and would require more care in the corners than the lower slung regular quads.

I have to admit I really like my son's Scrambler XP1000. Crazy power and even a bit of rack space. I find the Polaris quads are a less abusive ride than the Can-Ams. They have more on board storage and a quieter CVT transmission than the Can-Ams. Power comes on in a smoother, linear fashion, while the Can-Am is more of a quick bite and off you go. Both have plenty of power to raise the front ends off the ground in high gear. If you look for a 2-up machine, the Can-Ams have more rear rack space when the passenger seat is in place. Polaris, much less with the 2nd seat on.

In personal experience with 3 Polaris and 2 Can-Ams I can't honestly say either was more reliable than the other. I've had minor issues with both and neither has left me stranded.

Search this Thread