General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Auto clutch vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto clutch vs manual

I made a post in another forum about using a transmission and swapping the crankshaft out to accept a chain or belt setup then mounting it on a go-kart. I didn't get much response. So now I am asking you guys for some insight on what the old auto clutches from the 80-90's era ATC/ATV's can handle for power and torque. I don't know if it will work but I think it would be pretty cool if it does. So any input you might have on this would be appreciated.

P.S. I know it sounds crazy but I have my reasons for trying this.

Thanks,
DS79

Old 01-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Probably a wrecked sport-quad would be the easiest to adapt, or an old Polaris 2 stroke. I had a 1996 Sportsman 400 2 stroke , CVT trans and chain drive. I think with some playing with sprockets, it would be pretty quick. AAEN Performance has kits to boost to 76 hp. A 76 hp go cart should be a hoot. Don't see where you'd gain with all the speeds of a manual transmission. You won't be rock crawling or plowing snow.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I thought about one of the CVT type transmissions but this isn't about making a fast go kart but making a diesel go kart. The engine I have is fairly large and I want the modified transmission for the clutch more than the gears. Having it modified to accept a belt drive allows for gearing changes at the engine instead of the final drive. It's not going to be a small kart, but with a 13hp diesel it should be a fun go kart!