General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2007 Artic Cat Dvx 400 spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Artic Cat Dvx 400 spark plugs?

I was riding most of the day yesterday and when I got done I just rinsed the mud off my quad off and then rode it into the garage.
I went out to ride it today and it fired right up. I rode for about 5-10 minutes and it just died. At first I thought I had forgot to make sure I had fuel but I was at 3/4 tank ( only run 91 octane or higher). I tried to fired it back up and it wouldn't start. So I pushed it back to my house and started first with making sure my carb was getting fuel. It was.
i checked my air box to make sure it wasn't full of water from rinsing it the day before. No water. I tried to start it again. Fired right up. Let it idle thinking it was just a fluke and it ran for another 5 minuemtes and died and would not fire again.
I figured I would check the plug and found water sitting on top of it. Got all the water I could out and pulled the plug . Didn't look too bad some carbon build up.
i haven't drained the oil to see if water is in it yet that is my plan tomorrow along with a new plug.

Anyone have any any other idea on what it may be?

Old 03-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you need to pull all electrical connections,blow out any moisture out and use electrical grease. Don't know how many were hauled to the shop after people power washed them for me to trouble shoot. Some just used hose end sprayers and they wouldn't crank back up. First thing I always went to was the plug cap and plug and blew out any water and residue then changed the plug. May be as simple as that.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. I have the plug out currently and I am going to go buy a new one and get stuff to change my oil to make sure no water got into the engine.
When I pulled the plugged it had some carbon build up like I said before and was dry. Not sure if that may be a compression issue. But I've had this quad for 2.5 years and I have never had a problem starting it at 90 degrees or -20. I'm hoping if I just change the plug I will have fixed it.
Also when I turn the petcock to the ON position it doesn't allow fuel to the carb and if I turn it to Prime it obviously lets fuel flow at a lower rate but not sure if I can just clean it and repair it or if it needs replaced.
Can I put an inline fuel filter between the petcock and carb?

Old 03-07-2017, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Spark plug

Old 03-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes you should be able to put an inline filter. Might be a good idea to drain the float bowl also to eliminate any water that could have gotten in through the air box if you washed that area.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Air box was dry but I will give it a go since I have the tank off already. Can I run the four wheeler with the petcock turned to prime all the time
thank you! I will post tomorrow once I get a new plug in, change the oil and buy an online filter

Old 03-07-2017, 12:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Prime on most machines is just to fill a dry carb. On position is normally used.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

If you ever get a chance to take the tank off, dump out the old gas into a clean 5 gallon bucket. Both of my gas Arctic Cats had dirt and crud in the tanks. (bought used) My 500 had at least a cup of crud inside! They have run perfectly ever since, ok, blew out the lines added a filter and cleaned the carb on each one.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have the tank off and plan on emptying it tonight along with the bowl on the carb. If i see any water come out of the carb i will probably pull it off and just make sure there is no crud in the bowl.
i just went down and bought a new plug and stuff to change the oil. so hopefully by tonight i will have it running again.
thanks

Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I came home and drained the oil. There was a tad bit of water in the oil. Glad I changed it.

I put new oil in and changed out my spark plug and just checked my petcock to make sure thee was no blockage. Drained my fuel tank and bowl and the fuel seemed fine to me.

Petcock seems to be acting a little funky. But I put the tank back on and hooked up the battery and it started right up. Let it idle for a few minutes and seems to be running great. But if I hit the throttle a little it would backfire. Never used to. I am pretty sure that it is in the petcock but not sure exactly.
On the back side of the petcock is a vacuum line whether I suck or blow on that nipple it does not allow any airflow. there is a little spring in there and if I removed that spring it would allow air to flow through the valve whether it was on prime or in the ON position. So I left it out just to see. I am sure that is why it was running to rich evahse too much fuel was getting to the bowl. But I then took the tank back off and put that spring back in. Same thing, backfires. Thinking I might go down and just get a new petcock
any suggestions?