General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Good Project wheeler (sport)

Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Project wheeler (sport)

Hey guys, I'm thinking of jumping into a project wheeler. I have always wanted a sport machine, never owned one.

I am a big Honda fan, but would consider any of the name brands. I like the 300EX, or even the TRX. I'd lie to get into something that isn't insanely expensive to fix and have fun with, something that is relatively easy to get parts for...I just don't know where to start.

As far as use, I'd just be doing some trail & pit riding with it....nothing extreme....lol. Those years are long gone for me.

Thanks for any/all input.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

400ex. Really all the sporties are serviceable if you are going name brand, but the 400 is relatively mild stock, can be made fairly fast though. They have been around forever and have excellent aftermarket support. Older Ones can be had in running/decent shape for under 2k.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer

Cool, thanks for the info. I have taken a few different spots machines out for rides here and there. They are fun in their own way, though I'm still very much a big comfortable 4x4 wheeler kind of guy. This would be a fun project for me, I'd entertain picking something up non-running too...

Old 03-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, so I just found an 04 400ex on CL. In the add the seller says he brought it to the local powersports dealer and they told him it needs a new motor. The bike is apart to a large degree, but the add says he has all of the parts.

My question is this, assuming all the major parts & pieces are there, and the motor simply needs a rebuild, what would this thing be worth? Obviously I'm going to try and score it for as little as possible based on it's disassembled condition and the stated "bad motor". I'm just looking for a little guidance on what to start the offer at.

I'm tempted to (after seeing it and confirming the parts are there and the motor isn't seized/grenaded) offer like $200. Figure if I have to rebuild the motor complete, replace a few parts/pieces, I'd be into it for less than $1k, maybe a bit more, but still ahead of the game.

I have a nice shop with lifts/tools, and I love doing this stuff. It'd be my first sport bike build, but I'm not nervous about that aspect. Only thing I'm trying to minimize is the potential to spend as much as it would take to simply buy a decent running machine. 400ex's of this vintage that are rideable are $2000-$2700. If I can get into one for half that and have fun doing it, I'm all in! I love the idea of building it myself!

Lastly, I also like the Raptor. That 700 looks like a nasty machine! I just haven't found a project bike type deal yet. Any thoughts on the Raptor as a project machine? Bad idea, things to look out for?

Thanks for any input fellas!

Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

Anyone have experience with the Polaris Outlaw 500 IRS? Sounds like an interesting setup for a sport machine. I found one local that has a bad (but still usable) CV axle (it's clicking/on its way out). Really, if I was going to go Polaris for the sport bike I'd like to snag a Scrambler. The AWD sport type thing sounds like a nice mix of fun and capable.

On another note, I think I've talked myself out of the Raptor. Sounds like those were rather prone to transmission issues. Don't think I want to get into something that's going to blow up something major like a tranny.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

The very first year raptor 660 had tranny issues. At this point if it had been a bad one it has long since been replaced. For the record, motorcycle style manual transmissions are actually pretty easy to do anyway. I think it would be the 2001 model year. Anything made after our any 700 should be fine save for being abused.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Moto Psycho

One mechanic at a Polaris dealer that used to be around here described the Scrambler as a sports-tractor. That was the old Scrambler 500. They're a lot of fun to ride but don't expect them to perform the same as a true sport ATV.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm glad to hear the Raptor isn't the problematic machine I thought it might be, I like the looks of that bike! I just wish I could find a project level bike, not a $2500-$3000 one.

As far as the scrambler goes, it not being a super fast machine doesn't bother me. I think it'll be a spirited enough ride to me! I just wanted to see if they had some issues to watch out for...

Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

So I was just talking with a buddy of mine that used to have a 300ex years ago. He loved it, and thinks I should go that route for sure. One of the things I've read about the 400ex is that it doesn't have reverse...is this true or not? My buddy says his had reverse, so it makes me wonder if these had factory reverse, or if the majority of people with them installed some sort of A/M reverse.

Thoughts??

Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Honda added reverse with the first refresh and shortly after Suzuki released the z400. So earlier machines will not have it, more current machines all do. Reverse just isn't that big of a deal on a sport quad. Most of the time I can be turned around and heading out while other riders are messing with their reverse mechanisms and what not.

Search this Thread