General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Need advice with front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with front end

What I have is a custom built side-by-side using a few parts from a wreaked ATV. The vehicle runs great; it just doesn’t handle very well. Front end very squirrely, starts to wobble at speeds over 25 mph. I used the a-arms and spindles from the wreaked ATV, and mounted a pair of Honda 250 hubs with rotors. Fabricated a set of brackets to mount the calipers. First mistake I made was using 10” wheels, as they don’t have enough clearance to clear the calipers. Had to add a pair of wheel spacers to make it work. The wheels I purchased had a set of Hoosier dirt track racing tires mounted. Purchased wheels and tires because they were cheap. (Second mistake) Have tried different setting on the shocks (from soft to firm) with no change. Have tried a little toe-in also with no change. The rack and pinion box is brand new. Installed new wheel bearing. Everything is very tight on the front end. I guess the next thing I should try is different tires, but before I make that investment, I thought I would ask around to see if anyone has had experience with these tires or could offer suggestions. I’ve read many of the post here, and I can see you have a lot of very knowledgeable members. The vehicle is only riden on hard pavement. I would post some pictures, but don't have authorization. Thanks all for any help.