General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat

Old 04-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat

I think with many of the machines you need to manage your expectations. You are basically looking at nothing more than hopped up golf carts when you look at older models... The new stuff coming out now is a whole lot better. I agree the Yamaha Rhino has sort of set the bar a whole lot higher than what it was before. The Kubota is a work horse for sure... but don't expect to be getting air with it.... In fact, it is a good idea to not think about getting air in any of these.

Buy them, and use them in the way they were designed, but remember they are NOT sport quads, Dune buggies etc.... Oh sure, you will find guys modifying them for more speed, better suspensions so they can fly and land safer etc.. but just remember when the parts start breaking.. that you have no right to complain when abusing the crap out of it and exceeding it's design capabilities.

If you are looking to be bashing around and pushing the limits.. .then the Rhino is about the only one that is made to take that... and make sure you get an 05... the previous ones had issues with durability of major systems like steering knuckles, and half shafts... Yamaha has beefed up the parts in later models...

Lastly, pay close attention to your purchase decision process. Don't buy one model because it is cheaper knowing full well that the word on the street is that it can't take it.... what makes you think your model is going to be any different. There is a lot of information available these days for you to educate yourself... take advantage of that and get the one that matches your riding characteristics, and the job function you need to use it for.... Not the one that some dealer will make you a "special" deal on...

Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have a gator 2wd, it's not fast and doesn't have very much suspension at all but you can load it down pretty heavy and it won't complain, get the deere for working. If you're playing around get the rhino.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

I own a 05 ranger its the xp it dose 43.5 mph on gps its is very quick and super aggressive it rides like a caddy and i love the color keys so i can give the kids and friends a slower ride i have a gorilla 8" lift and 28" blackwaters on order this is going to be fun!!!!! i inspected the rhino and the Jhon deers and i can tell the ranger is a better built unit by far. And the efi is limitless posability's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll second the idea about the older Mules. I have the 2510 4x4, first model year, use it on a ranch, and everything has gone wrong at least once before. I've always expected it to work like the "offroad" vehicle that it is (or should be), but I guess I was wrong. It's only used approx 300 hours per year, most of the last 11 years has been broken down 25% of the time, and costs roughly $2000 per year to keep up. Could have bought a whole new one almost twice along the way.... Now, after I've learned all the hard lessons and compensated for everything, I CAN make one last, but don't want to try anymore. Chronic overheating problems, can't drive it in mud withouit ruining all it's u-joints, and goes thru 1 or 2 belts a year. Remember, I only use it on weekends. I consider myself an amature Mule mechanic now, with all the problems I've dealt with. I even installed a second radiator under the seat to keep it cooler. But enough of that one....

Drove a Kubota, too utilitarian for my tastes. Drives like a tractor, the power steering is nice, as is the hydraulic dump. But I wasn't fond of the cab layout, and just can't get used to the hydrostatic transmission...

So I'm getting a Ranger 4x4 -- hopefully a more off-road friendly version of what I need. THe 500 has more that 50% more HP than the Mule and should ride a lot better. I don't need to haul a lot more than my normal gear, but I DO need to handle steep and rough terrain. Also has a nicer cab...

BTW -- According to a Ranger forum site, the XP 700 model has some serious overheating problems. Apparently that motor is just too hot for the vehicle. Owners report a lot of "melting" of various plastic parts, as well as a really HOT seat. Potentially dangerous I think...

Old 04-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 2005 polaris ranger 700 xp this thing is a tank ! goes just about anyware! its a little big for trail riding but with sum classy driving u just make your own trail its awsome! it only has 14 hrs on it so far but great speed top end & low . i installed auto meter fantum gauges oil,water temp,volt meter. this thing has 52 psi for oil press. at an idle ,but it is still new . i have sume good stories about this thing but we will save sum for later!

Old 04-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Nopain.. not sure 14 hours is a realistic measurement. Hope your experience is better than the one above. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had a 1998 kawa 2510 mule on our ranch has never had any problems with it other than I just replaced the orginal tires (well over due) with ITP mudlites. We used it daily, so that equals to many many hours. The main thing is general maintainance just like everything. BTW, we changed the governer and now it runs 39mph.

Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

700VTwinman, where did you get a replacement gov? BTW, I was born at San Jacinto Memorial.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother got it and put it on, but I can ask him where he got it if you want one. The reason kawie governs their mules is for legality issues. They should be able to go much faster since it is a 617cc v-twin motor. The polaris ranger "says" it runs 41.5mph with a 500cc single, so reason goes that the larger motor of the kawie will do that too. BTW....I was born in Gulf Coast Hospital in Baytown....which is not a hopsital anymore but doctors offices. Do you ever ride at Soggy Bottoms in Crosby, Texas??? If so, let me know when and you could ride with us.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

well, it took me several weeks to chose, but i chose the ranger 500 4x4, the new 700efi was too jumpy off the throttle(wife didnt like it). i have a ton of kids 5 and 1 on the way, some already ride, so the rhino was out(2seater,small cargo) didnt care much for the finish on the rhino, plastic skid plates ,the bed was kinda cheap, and absolutly no protection over the radiator, the other models are ok but wont do what the rhino&ranger will do(recreational) no one mentioned ez-go, or the club car new4x4, their not bad, club car has an aluminum frame, ez has a galvinized frame , they may not ride or go as fast but they will last forever, honda air cooled motors, well thats my 2 cents. see ya on the trails Froggy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: kubota vs. ranger vs. mule vs. gator vs. rhino vs. bobcat