General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino vs. Ranger for disabled person.... Please reply.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino vs. Ranger for disabled person.... Please reply.

prowrench,

I had planned a career in construction when I was injured. My disability no longer allowed that. I spent the next seven years getting a college education and got a job with the State of Missouri. I could have drawn "public assistance", but like you, I wanted to work. Believe it or not, I worked as an armed Officer in a field that required twice yearly firearms qualification and "Safety Classes". Due tot he ADA, "reasonable accommodations" had to be made and I stayed well beyond my eligible retirement age. My wife's cousin became a paraplegic at age eighteen and after a lot of rehabilitation and depression, he pulled out and went about his life. He uses a specially modified van to get around and has a good paying job selling motorcycle parts out of a warehouse as all of his sales are via telephone and to businesses. His vast knowledge of motorcycles makes him a valuable employee. They are not doing him a favor by keeping him there, he is doing them one.

I know it will be hard for you but with your background and knowledge, I am sure you can find something even if it requires a little more training or assistance. You might check with DSS for some ideas as well as Vocational Rehabilitation and possibly the Financial Aide Office at a nearby University.