General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino vs. Ranger for disabled person.... Please reply.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino vs. Ranger for disabled person.... Please reply.

Rhino vs. Ranger........ Which is better for a disabled person? I'm 5'6 (yeah I know, short). I have trouble with my hands and arms. So which one is easier to steer and drive? How does the throttle operate? I look foward to any comments, especially from any disabled folks.

My last atv was an '04 Prairie 650, so I like power [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I just sold my '04 Max II 6x6. The lack of suspension on the 6x6 was rough. But it was great being able to float. How deep can the rhino and ranger go in water?

Old 02-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'm in somewhat of the same situation as you are. My dad is disabled also but in his legs. He is debating on getting a Rhino or Ranger or one of the John Deere atvs (the opening in front of the seat would allow him to swing his legs through instead of having to try and lift a leg up and over the seat).

Both the Rhino and Ranger operate pretty much like a car. They have a gas and brake pedal and a steering wheel. As far as how they handle, I can't help you there. I haven't gotten to test drive one but hopefully I'll have the chance to soon.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Ranger and have sold both at a dealership.I think the Ranger is a better machine and for handicap use it would be better also.The flat seat and roll cage would be easier for egress and ingress.
lizzzard

Old 02-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

Give Me a couple of weeks, I just traded my polaris 700 in for a ranger last sat.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey whats up? i just so happen to be a paraplegic , i have had my 2005 ranger 700 xp for 7 mons. i have not had one probleme so far . i do wish that it had bucket seats though! i sit on a pillow for more comfort. i have to get a digital camera & post pics of the places that we take it , thats the only way u would believe me! don't get me wrong yamaha makes a good product . the ranger is wider than the rino & the arctic cat prowler but i did not get it to be able to go on bike trails but we do lol. if i don't fit through i simply go around or make my own path thats what its all about right? 4x4 ! the only thing that i did to modify the performance is change the ECU box to the one of the 700 sportsman $300 . yes it was worth it the motor still has so much more to give ! 700cc EFI twin cilinder liquid cooled awsome! the thing runs great ! tell ya more later ! i have big plans for this ranger!

Old 09-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Let's hear more about this. My dad has two artificial legs and rides the grizzly ok.

But the future father-in-law doesn't have the range of motion to ride the grizz and we are looking at the side by side.

Love to hear more comparisons. We are not brand loyal - just want the best ride for the money.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

I have sold both,get the Ranger.I did

Old 09-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Range Rover

I have a Rhino and have ridden with a Ranger 700. I expect the Rhino may serve you better, because the bucket seats really hold you in well. It will be harder to get in and out of though. Either way I don't think you can go wrong!

Old 09-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have a friend who is parapalegic and he has had a rhino for almost a year. They installed hand controls for the brakes/throttle and it works very well for him. I was never really brand loyal, untill i saw how our dealership helped him in his situation. the rhino works very well, and he rides it hard everyday. they just installed the plow package and he is going to start a polwing business locally. i recommend the rhino. the ranger is a good work machine, the rhino is sportier.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Hi:

I ended up buying a Yamaha Rhino and it's great. It is so much better than the Six Wheeler I had. The ride is smooth. The six wheeler had no suspension and a bench seat. I used to get thrown around in it. Now, i have the Rhino. I love the independent suspension. I don't get thrown around plus the bucket seats help a lot. That was actually a big issue for me (Bucket vs. Bench seating) and I'm so glad I chose the rhino. It could definately use more power, but it has enough for me personally.

Don't ride anywheres where there is a chance you get stuck unless you have a winch. My Rhino has the receiver in the back and also front so I can use my winch on the front or back.

Quick Reply: Rhino vs. Ranger for disabled person.... Please reply.