General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Prowler Problems after 30 miles! Artic Cat Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prowler Problems after 30 miles! Artic Cat Please help!

I have been researching for sometime now about what Side X Side to get. After searching out the forums etc... I decited to take a chance on the new Artic Cat Prowler. I went into this knowing that it was a new venture for Artic Cat, But it seems like it could be a good unit. So the other day (saturday)I went to a Dealer and bought a new 06 Prowler, Red.
Took it home and ran it around the neiborhood. It seemed to be a good unit and I was happy with the "fit and finish" of the unit.
I put about 20 very easy going miles on the unit. Then the next day decited to load up my wife and go for a ride to the mountains near my home. We were cruising at about 30mph, when all of the sudden I herd a strange noise and then it started smoking real bad out the clutch case vent area.
Very strange, It should not fry a belt just traveling down the road at 30mph in 2wd h gear. The thing only has 30 miles on it total, all of which are very easy low speed miles!
The next day (Monday) I took it back into the dealer, they took the clutch cover off and said that it had an Oil seal leak, and that they may have to split the cases to fix it!. And that they may need to send the engine back to Artic Cat for them to check it out!.
So here I am I just bought a $10K machine that I will have to make payments on, that is of no use to me for at least several weeks.
I said this is BS, I just bouight the thing!
I am in the motorcycle business I distribute Pit bikes to dealers all over the States. I publically advertise and have a web forum. If I have a dealer or customer with a DEFECTIVE BIKE, I TAKE CARE OF THEM, If it were me I would replace the Prowler for a new one! Could Artic Cat do this? Yes, Sure they could, Should they do this? Yes of course!
Why would I want a $10k machine with an engine that has to be rebuilt in the first 30 miles, Sure it will have a six month warranty, but the first month of the warranty it will not even be in use because of the clutch problems!
The dealer is tells me that they are trying to get some answers from Artic Cat. But my patience is getting very thin, It is Wed now and I stil have no answers! I am willing to accept the fact that maybe i just got a bad unit and this is not the way the quality normally is. I know Artic Cat is a very good company and builds very nice products. And yes the Prowler I believe is the best Side X side on the market. (if I dont continue to have this problem)

I'm sorry for the venting, And I hope Artic cat will take care of me. I am willing to be cool about this, But I sure as hell hope they can make things right with me. VERY FAST!
I'll keep you ALL updated as to how good the Customer service will be on this Issue! If they get it right with me I'll let you all know, But if they dont You'll all know too!

-------------------------
Pitster pro Pit bikes, Ride the best roost the rest!

Old 09-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dealer and Artic cat say they will have me up and running again in this weekend.
I'll keep ypu posted.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

should have bought the polaris ranger 700 xp ! I hope that arcti cat takes care of the probleme & that u have no more problems.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

good luck with arctic cat. i bought a new prowler in @ sept 2006, have had some minor maintenance issues (i thought). the dealership was unable to resolve & now arctic cat consumer affairs (ha) has been hearing from me for several months, still without any resolution in sight. it is my belief that they know they can outlast any individual with legitimate issues so they just keep putting you off & eventually you get tired of playing their games & give up. i will bet you will never get any service from these people. buy a japanese built one next.

mike

Old 04-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.........Thats why I bought a Rhino.....good service....

Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer

Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for their Prowler? I was thinking about getting a warranty and wondering how much it would cost.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:55 AM
Range Rover

The 07 prowler doesnt have near the problems the 06 models have. The head gasket, and rear brake in the 06 was the usual problems, brake was recalled, not sure about the head gasket? The rhino has problems as well, dont let anyone fool you

Old 04-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did not buy an extended warranty. In my opinion, if a vehicle is designed & built correctly, the extended warranty is not needed. Coverage is limited & is interpreted by the dealer/manufacturer. Over the past 20 years I have purchased @ 1/2 dozen new atv's, bought an extended warranty on the first one but never used it, never had any opportunity to use it on any of the others with the exception on this Prowler. All others were Japanese units, never had any real problems with any of them, the Prowler is another story all together! Finding a responsible dealership is the real trick in any maintenance/warranty issue, & I don't think they exist! Good luck!

Mike

Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

I suspect if you keep the unit for @ 1 year or so & ride much you will start to experience the various shortcomings inherient in their design & means of manufacture. Hope you have a dealership that will be honest & is capable of maintaining your Prowler.

What's the problem with the head gasket?

Mike

Old 05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

Just had my 2007 Prowler front left axle/differntial oil seal replaced for leaking. It's leaking again on the first ride after the repair.

Quick Reply: Prowler Problems after 30 miles! Artic Cat Please help!