General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Advice on Mammoth 800

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on Mammoth 800

I'd help you take it apart and find out what was broken or disconnected if I only lived a little closer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But do be sure to post what you find when you get it working, someone else might run into a similar situation.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you lived closer I would sure take you up on your offer! I will definitely post the fix once I figure it out.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

This morning I put the Mammoth up on jacks and cranked it up to see what was happening. It was clear that the CV joints were fine plus when I engaged the parking brake it worked. Next I cranked it up and put it in gear to see what was moving and what wasn't The driveshaft to the front differential was turning but neither front axle was turning. I did however notice that one front wheel would jerk like it was trying to turn. This led me to believe that it was just simply not going into gear when the shift lever was moved into the 4WD position. I then disconnected the 4WD shift cable from the actuator arm. I had thought I had the arm pulled all the way to the stop when I did this before but today I was able to turn the arm almost a full turn clockwise before it stopped! Once I turned it this far I decided to try again to see if anything turned. Much to my great pleasure one of the front wheels was turning just fine under its own power! I slid a block under it to stop it (since it does not have a front differential lock) and the other wheel started turning just as it should. This led me to believe that maybe the actuator arm (which fits around a splined shaft) had been installed at the wrong point in the shaft rotation. However before I attempted to re-position the arm I thought I would just re-attach the cable and see if anything changed. Much to my surprise it now works FINE.... attached just like it was before! The only problem was that I could not get it to disengage now! Then I remembered that my first attempt to fix it was to adjust the cable length by moving the jam nuts on the mounting bracket....so I just moved them back where they were originally and then it disengaged and engaged just fine! I have no idea what the problem was unless something in the case was stuck or possibly it somehow indexed itself when I moved it almost a full circle...but whatever it was I am HAPPY! I then took it down to a neighboring farmer's field and got a bag of cabbage. On the way back home I decided to see how well the 4WD worked and drove it up a steep bank through an old fence row....the front wheels pulled as they should and when the rear started spinning I hit the differential lock and pulled through just fine!

So...now once I get the bolts in the roll bar joints tightened up a little to stop the squeaking, replace one brakelight bulb and figure out why the gas gauge is not working everything should be fine. Sure it has a few problems....but for half the price of a comparable unit I can live with a few glitches.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Oh yeah... one thing I did notice is that the front differential seems to be a different unit than the one in the parts diagram. It looks to be made more like the rear differential...very thick heavy casting of iron. Is the Polaris differential cast aluminum or pot metal...or cast steel?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'M GOING TO have to check into this machine they sound awesome

Old 11-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

do any of you think a track kit would work on this unit ?
I know they have ones for the Rangers

Old 11-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys,

I think I know what is wrong with my mammoth not Idling. I beleive that the white bracket that holds a piece of the linkage in place is broken, additionally, the fuel mixture screw is missing. Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts at???

I would post a picture of what I think is broken but I can't figure out how.

Paul

Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

heard the engine was same as Geo metro ,just a thought .

Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

interesting

Old 11-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

As far as using tracks on a Mammoth....I imagine the ones for a Ranger would work fine. The only problem would be if the lug bolt pattern were different. Since Helidude has had both Rangers and a Mammoth...maybe he can tell us if the bolt pattern for the wheels is the same for each. I wouldn't mind having a set of aluminum wheels and bigger tires for mine and was hoping Ranger wheels would fit as there are sometimes some pretty good deals on them on ebay.

Also...... Deanz400.... THANK YOU for your all your years of service to our country. Well done sir!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mikuni makes the carb for the mammoth - just FYI

Quick Reply: Advice on Mammoth 800