General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Advice on Mammoth 800

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Mammoth 800"></title><script src=

Mammoth 800

I purchased my Mammoth January 2008 and have done the following mods just for everyones info:

1. Installed Cooper Classic Cars Temp Calibration kit to correct the temp gauge.
2. Installed Cooper/Mammoth 800.com Speedo kit
3. Installed "/" Rear Fender Kit. Makes the UTV look more complete.
4. Installed "/" Soft Top, Folding Windshield, and Rear Window
5. Sent "/" my clutches to modify them and make the Primary Adjustable. This is a $135 package deal that includes a HD Belt. Aaron at Coopers or Mammoth 800.com is very knowledgable and helpful for your questions.

These mods made nice improvements at a resonable cost. The clutch overhaul made the most difference of anything I have done and makes the drive train noise quieter. It runs 44 mph now and is smooth taking off.

Don't have a over temp problem but I do wait until the fan goes off before shutting it down. You do need to check everything over when you unbox the UTV oil levels, greese the zerts, and makes any cable adjustments necessary to get everything to work as "Oldtimer" mentioned. I bought my Mammoth through ebike and picked it up at Springdale, AR. Good buy. Now to see if everything keeps working! By the way, the Differential is not locking on the front, so the wheels spin independently and [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]not pull together.

Dave

Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I need help on my mammoth please see my Forum thanks

Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cleod99

So where is your forum?

Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I live in Ontario, Near Barrie You?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cleod99

I ment where is your post that your wanting advise, suggestions, etc......

I'm in Oklahoma by the way.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

its under mammoth help in the utv section

Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default price quote

Where did you get yours for less than $5K, as Ebike has a quote for $5,500?

Originally Posted by Old Timer
I live in western North Carolina near Grandfather Mountain and am about 5 hours north of Norcross so paying to have it delivered was cheaper in the long run for me...although they told me I could come pick it up in Norcross if I wanted. As far as assembly, while we had 3 working, most of the work was done by my son in law and his buddy while I was unwrapping parts from bubble wrap. As you said, a fairly straightforward assembly. I think I could do the next one in half the time. We assembled mine while it was still sitting on the base of the "crate" or angle iron frame...then torched off two rear uprights, put some 2x6's under the wheels and rolled it off the frame with on problems.

As far as customer service or the guarantee, I never expected either to be much considering the price. I did however expect the major functions to work as delivered. I think so far the "support" folks are just shooting in the dark coming up with problems they have encountered in the past. I guess once I get mine fixed they will have one more solution to add to their list of suggestions.

I am glad to know that many of the parts are the same as Polaris. I have been told by a dealer that Polaris a-arms will bolt right up. From what you say it appears the clutch will do the same. I would assume that means I can use a Polaris belt also? If so, is there any particular size I ask for should I ever need one? This is my first side by side although I have had regular four wheelers before made by Honda and Suzuki.

I agree with you totally that if this thing is as solid as it appears to be that it is a heck of a bargain at less than $5K....especially if I can get the 4WD working. 8-)

Also...you mentioned checking the movement of the front differential shift arm by removing the cable and moving it manually. I did that already. Standing at the front and looking down at the front differential, the shift arm is pointing toward the front of the machine. I disconnected the shift cable and moved the arm to my left (the passenger side) all the way until it would move no further to see what its full travel limit was. Next I pulled the shift lever all the way down to where the 4WD should be engaged and then checked to see where the end of the cable was in relation to the arm on the differential. I found the cable lined up exactly where the arm was...meaning the cable is pulling it all the way to the end of the travel limit of the arm. I re-connected the shift cable and drove it around to a place where the rear wheels would spin but still neither front wheel would pull. I think my next step is to put it up on jackstands and have someone start it and put it in gear while I crawl underneath and see what is working and what is not...then go from there.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Any One Fix The Popping Out Of Gear?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

my mammoth 800 runs only when starter is engaged

Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

This thread looks like it needs to be updated. I will jump in head first. I bought my kazuma mammoth in the spring of 2007. So far to date I have replaced the starter twice. Completely rebuilt the rear end due to bad wheel bearings then the axle breaking. Rewired the fan after it fell out. I did send the clutch off to Aaron after I went thru two belts. Aaron is "the man" on all things mammoth. Replaced all the tires because they went bad, replaced the drivers side A arm after it broke while riding. I'm on my third set of spark plugs and second set of wires. I just replaced the coil too. The ignition switch went bad and left me in the woods after a morning hunt last year. Now the latest issue is the idle adjustment screw has broken off from the main body of the carb where the threads are. Is that enough?? The one problem I didn't have was the popping out of gear problem, but I've had my fair share of other problems. I have become very familiar with metric tools. If I can assist anyone in fixing theirs give me a shout. If you want to buy one of these you need to be VERY mechanically inclined....

Quick Reply: Advice on Mammoth 800